This site uses cookies to offer you a better browsing experience. Find out more about how to manage cookies, or dismiss this message and continue to use cookies.

How long should it take for a closed business to no longer appear in the Garmin database?

Yesterday I was in downtown Seattle, and my Garmin, which has the latest map from May (map version 2018.20), directed me to a Kidd Valley burger restaurant at 531 Queen Anne Ave N. But when I got there, no Kidd Valley. An employee in a nearby store told me it had been gone for years; it's a CVS Pharmacy now.

At home, I looked online and found that the Kidd Valley at that location had closed on September 1st, 2014 -- almost THREE YEARS ago.

One possible hint, which I didn't realize might be important at the time, was that the address for that location was not included in the list of hits. It showed how many miles to it, and when selected it showed the directions, but no address (I learned what the address was later). The addresses for most of the other locations was included in the hit list (there was one other hit with no address).

Why would a business that had been closed for nearly three years still show up in a Garmin with the current map? Does Garmin have a process for discovering and purging closed businesses?

Comments

• Boyd 1792 Points
    Garmin's POI database has always been terrible, this is nothing new. Yet another reason why dedicated GPS units are becoming extinct. ;)
  • sussamb 664 Points
    Many of the current units have the Foursquare POI database, which seems far more up to date than the POIs included in the 'map data'.
  • menhir 50 Points
    edited August 9
    It's best to check any info on businesses and attractions online first.
    I once missed a meeting by following my Garmin to a restaurant that had moved several years previously.
    The biggest problem I've had is finding POI's and addresses that aren't even in Garmin's database.
    I'm off to visit a cave attraction today - I'm sure they didn't just build it :-) - that's in all the local tourism pamphlets, but my Zumo doesn't list it by POI and it says there's no such street name.
    No problem with Google Maps, though.
  • Boyd 1792 Points
    edited August 9
    In all fairness to Garmin, they are trying to fit the entire country into about a 3gb file. No matter how diligent they are, there's just too much stuff to put in there, and the wimpy processors in their devices (which are several generations behind smartphones) already stuggle to search through POI's.

It should not surprise anyone that Google Maps is better - they have petabytes of data, crunch it with powerful servers and just send the results back to you. The Garmin GPS is on it's own to do all of this. All things considered, it does a pretty good job. But you have to be realistic in your expectations. Comparing a Garmin GPS to Google is like comparing a bicycle to an airplane. Each has its own advantages and limitations. :)
  • GregL65 11 Points
    sussamb said:

Many of the current units have the Foursquare POI database, which seems far more up to date than the POIs included in the 'map data'.

How do I use that? I already have Garmim Smartphone Link installed, and it lets me take incoming phone calls through the Garmin while my phone is in my pocket.

What else do I need to do to use Foursquare on the Garmin? I have a Garmin 3590.

Thanks,

Greg
  • Boyd 1792 Points
    edited August 10
    I don't think smartphone link has anything to do with taking calls. That's just a bluetooth connection from the GPS to the phone. Smartphone link allows the GPS to access the internet via your smartphone. See this: https://support.garmin.com/faqSearch/en-US/faq/content/cFpFGiTQmu9GBwp7ohwWN8

I think Foursquare is a POI database, it's not available on all the Nuvi's, not sure if you 3590 is supported.
  • t923347 406 Points
    No Foursquare support on the 3590 and it is what you would call a POI database.
  • alanb 374 Points
    Foursquare is included with Smartphone Link. It is not directly accessible from the nuvi 3590, but you can access the Foursquare database on the smartphone and if you find a POI you want you can send it to the nuvi so you can navigate to it. It works on my 3597, so I assume it would work on the 3590.
  • t923347 406 Points
    The newer models like the DriveLuxe 50 have a separate .img file that contains the Foursquare database. I have Smartphone Link on the 3597 but I don't see anything to do with Foursquare. How do you access it on your 3597?
  • alanb 374 Points
    edited August 10
    You don't. You can search the Foursquare data base on the Smartphone Link app on the phone. When you find the POI you want, you can send it to the 3597, and the "GO" button will pop up on the nuvi.
  • t923347 406 Points
    Got it, thanks.
  • Boyd 1792 Points
    Is smartphone link compatible with the iPhone on the 3590? I thought it was Android only on that device.
  • alanb 374 Points
  • Boyd 1792 Points
    Yeah, I was looking at the Nuvi 3590 back in 2012, but ended up getting a 3550 instead because it was much cheaper and the 3590 wouldn't have worked with my phone anyway (plus I didn't want the lousy voice control or traffic receiver either).

I also have a Dezl 760 from 2013 and that is not compatible with smartlink on the iPhone either.