This site uses cookies to offer you a better browsing experience. Find out more about how to manage cookies, or dismiss this message and continue to use cookies.

DriveSmart 60 is dead. Long live DriveSmart 61

So my 60 is kaput. The battery is gone and now it can't even stand driving in the car with direct sunlight coming in even when I have the AC on full. Its over heating sensor, if it has one, must have failed. I can only use it on a cludy day.

So anyway, going on vacation next week and needed a new unit fast. Ordered the DriveSmart 61 with no real research which is not usually how I operate. Saw that it's really the only car big screen available as my older eyes want the big screen.

Is it fair to say the the only difference between the 60 and 61 is the wifi?

Does Garmin still want to charge me a monthly fee to use their app to get better traffic from my phone?

Comments

• crazyfingers 100 Points
    There a few small things that I would hope Garmin would fix.

An on / off option to show or not show those green favorites hearts.
    On / off for that silly cartoony exit animation.
    Stuff like that...
  • t923347 406 Points
    Install Smartphone Link app on your phone. Traffic is now free.
    Good to know. I will. Thanks.
  • mike41 6 Points
    Traffic is free. Since becoming a free service it also became worthless. It only appears occasionally and is totally unreliable. The 61 has a nice screen size and display. I prefer using a PND versus a phone for directions but I have to use a phone for traffic.
    Free and useless. Sounds promising! :)

In a few days I guess I'll see how different the 61 is from the 60.
  • Boyd 1792 Points
    I use the streetpilot app on my iPhone, but I believe that is the same HERE traffic data you get with the smartphone link app. It has been remarkably good in my experience, first time I have found the traffic feature useful in any of Garmin's software. Of course, if you're in an area where they don't monitor traffic conditions, then it will be useless. ;)
  • mike41 6 Points
    I travel in major areas that support traffic. The traffic is on the phone app but does not appear on the device. I have tried resets and have 3 devices that have the same issues. I have also tried different phones. I do have a phone that was not updated it has the older version of the app. This is the phone is where the traffic works occasionally.I have the street pilot app. I agree it has the better traffic but I prefer using a PND
  • Boyd 1792 Points
    edited August 14
    "Free and useless. Sounds promising!"

"I have the street pilot app. I agree it has the better traffic but I prefer using a PND"

So the DriveSmart costs more and has useless traffic? What's not to like? :D Perhaps the money would have been better spent on a phone upgrade?
  • >An on / off option to show or not show those green favorites hearts.

Haven't found it yet. I hate those green hearts.
    I'm not expecting that there will be an on/off though it should be so easy to implement.
    The DriveSmart 61 arrived. Trying to eliminate the Junction View JVC or JCV file. Attached it to my computer. The unit asks if I want to go into mass storage mode. I do I look at the folders. I have Windows file explorer set to show hidden items but the hidden /System folder still doesn't show up to find the JVC / JCV sub folder where the Junction View file is supposed to exist. No hidden system folder shows though I can confirm that can see hidden files on my desktop so show hidden items is on.

Suggestions?
  • alanb 374 Points
    You also have to uncheck the folder option to hide protected operating system files.
    Thanks but there is nothing in the manual that a search reveals the words "hide protected operating system files" or a relevant subset of those works in this context. Any idea where in the 61 unit settings that is found ?
  • t923347 406 Points
    edited August 16
    It a computer OS setting not a setting on the GPS. See http://forums.gpsreview.net/discussion/comment/206690/#Comment_206690
    Thanks unfortunately that didn't solve the problem in the link. The settings were already set to show hidden files, folder, etc.. and not to hide system files. The folder on the unit still doesn't show up.
  • Boyd 1792 Points
    edited August 16
    That technique certainly works on the Nuvi series under Windows 7....
  • t923347 406 Points
    edited August 16
    It also works with Windows 10 and a Drive model.

On the other hand I've never seen a Nuvi or a Drive device ask "if I want to go into mass storage mode" as the OP says he saw. The models that use MTP are in MTP mode by default and AFAIK will stay that way unless you go through the Diagnostic Screens on the GPS to change it to Mass Storage.

If the device did ask if the OP wanted to go into Mass Storage mode and he said YES then it may have gone to Mass Storage Mode One Time which is the 3rd option available. If that's the case then as soon as the Drive model rebooted it went back to MTP mode.

@crazyfingers what color is the computer icon on the GPS screen when the unit is attached to the computer? If it's orange or blue your probably in MTP mode and will never see the files your looking for. If it's white then that indicates your in Mass Storage mode and you should see those files in the .system (dot system) folder of the GPS.
  • Boyd 1792 Points
    t923347 said:

I've never seen a Nuvi or a Drive device ask "if I want to go into mass storage mode" as the OP says he saw.

Ha, I missed that part. My Montana asks me that when I plug it into the computer. I have the Montana set for "Garmin Spanner" mode though, and I've never heard of an automotive unit that had that option...
    What I originally did just now worked fine less than two weeks ago when I updated the maps on the DriveSmart 60 (now almost dead) and went in to delete the JV file. I did the same things this time for the 61 and have this problem.

I will check the color of the icon after dinner. Thanks
  • alanb 374 Points
    edited August 16
    If your reason for getting into the \.system folder is to disable the .JCV file, understand that not all junction views will be eliminated. The DriveSmart 61 has the Active Lane Guidance feature. These are animated junction view-like images that are part of the map data and can't be disabled. Also be aware that Garmin has been eliminating the lane assist arrows (multiple arrows in the upper left corner) on some intersections, so the junction view or active lane guidance view is the only lane guidance you get at those locations.
  • t923347 406 Points
    edited August 16
    If he doesn't like the Junction Views wait till he see's his first Active Lane Guidance. :-\"
    The unit and computer icon is orange. Then the unit is plugged into the usb cable to connect the unit comes up with a dialog asking if i want to enter MTP / Mass storage mode. Yes/no. I say yes. If I say no it doesnt appear in file explorer at all. The message basically says that MTP and mass storage node are both enabled when i say yes.
    Active lane guidance sucks. It't on the DS 60 too.
  • t923347 406 Points
    edited August 17
    Can't happen, you can only be in one mode.

I've never seen a unit that asks this question and it does not work like this on my DriveLuxe 50. On the other hand I don't understand what you mean when you say "The unit and computer icon is orange. Then the unit is plugged into the usb cable to connect the unit comes up with a dialog asking if i want to enter MTP / Mass storage mode".

You would never see an icon of any color unless your GPS was already plugged into the computer, yet your statement makes it sound like your seeing it before you plug it in. Also the dialog that asks MTP/Mass Storage makes no sense since your can only go into MTP OR Mass Storage.
    As soon as I can spend time on the computer I'll type in exactly what the message says. That will be in about 30 minutes from now.
    Sorry. I make a lot more typos from my tablet. Will be back to the computer in about 30 minutee.
    OK so this is strange. I just plugged it in again and instead of the icon of the unit and the computer being orange, they are now white. The hidden .system folder now appears along with all of the other non-hidden folders that I was previously able to see when the icon was orange.

Inside the .system folder is a JCV folder but it's empty. This is no .jcv file to rename or delete in the JCV folder. It's empty.

I don't get it.

Also, it did not show the following message when I plugged in the unit. Every previous time that I've plugged the DS 61 into the computer the DS 61 came up with the following message.

"USB Connection Detected. Do you want to enter file transfer Mode?
    File transfer mode (MTP or mass storage) connects your device to a computer to access files or use Garmin Express.

NO YES"

Previously when I did YES I was able to see all of the folders except for the .system folder. If I chose NO the unit did not connect to the the computer. It powered on, gave me a message that it would not charge from the computer, and then went into regular old ON mode where you can press the map on the right to see the map or the magnifying "Where to" glass on the right.

So strange after strange. But my goal is still to stop Junction View from showing up. There is no JCV file to delete. The unit came today with City Nav 2017.2 installed and put it on wifi and it updated the map to 2018.2.

As for lane assist, yes I've noticed that Garmin is unwisely reducing their appearance. I noticed that on the DS60. But when I got rid of JV they did show up more than with JV file active.
    And the unit is also no longer willing to turn on on battery power. I have to plug it into a wall charger for it to turn on and when unplug the charger it goes straight off and doesn't give me the 15 second countdown. It also no longer gives me that message above.
  • t923347 406 Points
    I have no idea what happened or what you have done but if you now have a white icon then your in Mass Storage mode. It should stay that way and you should be able to see the .system folder and it's contents.
    I just tried powering it on in the car. It turns on when I turn on the car but when I turn off the car it immediately shuts down without the 15 second countdown.
    t923347 said:

I have no idea what happened or what you have done but if you now have a white icon then your in Mass Storage mode. It should stay that way and you should be able to see the .system folder and it's contents.

Only the JCV folder is empty and the unit will no longer run on battery power. And I no longer get the message. This this unit is having serious problems now.

edited August 17
    HOLD THE PRESSES. I was using the old DS 60 the entire time since my post when I provided that quote. The two unit look so similar.

The DS 61 is not busted but it will not go into a mode where I can see the .system folder. I can see all the other folder on the unit but not the hidden folder. The icon is still orange and it gave me that message above in bold.

I plug it in and I get this message"

"USB Connection Detected. Do you want to enter file transfer Mode?
    File transfer mode (MTP or mass storage) connects your device to a computer to access files or use Garmin Express.

NO YES"

Yes and I can see all of the folders on the unit EXCEPT for the system folder. If I hit NO it does not connect to the computer, turns on as usual but tells me it can't charge from the computer.

Perhaps I still need to figure out how to get it into mass storage mode but that dialog doesn't do it.
  • t923347 406 Points
    edited August 17
    OK here is what I think you need to do:

Turn on the GPS without attempting to connect it to the computer.
    Once it's at the Where To? - View Map screen, press the View Map icon to bring up the map screen
    Once on the Map screen press the Speed icon to bring up the Speedo screen (shows speedometer, Max Speed, Moving Avg, etc.)
    Press and HOLD in the center of the speedometer (Middle Top of the screen)
    Continue to hold the screen until the Diagnostics Page appears (this could take 10 to 15 seconds)
    Once the Diagnostics Page is open, scroll down to Configurations and Settings and tap on that item
    On the Configurations and Settings screen, tap on MTP Settings
    On the MTP Settings screen, tap on Mass Storage and then tap on Save
    Return to the Main Menu screen and reboot your GPS.

You have now saved the setting so that the GPS will stay in Mass Storage mode forever and you should see the .system folder whenever you plug the device into your computer.
  • Boyd 1792 Points
    Since the 61 has wifi, it sounds like they have changed the way things work on the computer. I did some Google searches and could not find a "secret salute" to bring up the developer menu that allows you to change from MTP to Mass Storage mode. On the Nuvi series, there were a few different ways to do this. One was going to the trip computer page and pressing/holding the speedometer for several seconds. There was another one that involved pressing/holding something on the volume screen.

But you will never be able to access the hidden .System folder in MTP mode. That was intentional, to keep you from messing with it. ;)
    edited August 17
    I was able to get it into Mass Storage mode and finally renamed the JCV file.

Sorry for my earlier confusing on the DS 60. I put a big yellow post-it on the unit saying 60!

It's sad though that the message says I will go into MTP or Mass Storage mode but nowhere in the manual do the words mass storage appear.
  • t923347 406 Points
    FYI, what I called the Speedo screen is what Boyd correctly calls the "trip computer" screen.
    On the lane arrows, I did notice that once I got rid of the jcv file on the old almost dead DS 60 the arrows appeared more often. I hope that they appear often with the DS 61.
  • Boyd 1792 Points
    edited August 17
    Cool, so evidently they didn't actually change this? But it would be really nice if you could do it over wifi without messing with cables. Of course, I'm sure Garmin uses some antiquated form of slow wifi instead of the speedy (60MB/sec) 802.11ac. ;)
    Boyd if you mean how to put it into mass storage, pressing the speed, holding the speed for 10seconds does still bring up the diagnostic screen.

These instructions from the link above are still valid on the 61.

Did you change the Drive from the default MTP mode to Mass Storage Mode?

1. Start NUVI by itself and go to Speed setting on the Map Screen
    2. Press the upper middle of the screen where the Speed is shown for 10 seconds.
    3. The Developers Screen will pop up
    (may see Configuration and Settings, if so select it)
    4. Scroll down to MTP SETTINGS
    5. Change from MTP AUTO DETECT to MASS STORAGE and save
    6. Shut down NUVI and connect to PC
    7. It should now connect in mass storage mode.
    Got a way to turn off the cartoon exit animation now? I know. It's part of the map and there is no off switch.
    By the was, as I think about it, that cartoony animation quit after a while on the now nearly dead DS60. I hadn't thought about it for a while since it quit showing up an an interchange i probably have taken 20 time since i got the thing. I don't know if it gave up or if it quit when i killed the jcv or if i x'd out of it enough. But it was no longer showing up where at one interchange that it did in the past.

I have not seen it in a long time
  • t923347 406 Points
    If by cartoony animation you are referring to the active lane guidance feature, your right, you can not turn it off.

Also if It appears in a given exit/location it will always appear. It can not just disappear because you x out of it (not sure what that means) but on the other hand it will only appear if you have a destination entered in your GPS. It will never appear anywhere if you just have the Map screen visible with no destination entered.
    edited August 17
    Well, it quit doing it at one highway interchange i could name. I think two. I always have a destination running.

It's possible the map changed. In both cases it quit doing it at an interchang that i was actually staying on I95 and not getting off. Its a beltway situaton where u have to exit the highway to stay on I95.,
    On the DS 61 It is possible to hit the x at the top left of the animated exit thing, I can never remember the name, active lane guidance I guess, and make it go away. I drove around 400 miles today going on vacation. Hit the x and it quit for that interchange.

I doubt it will remember but at least i don't have to have it disracting me.

The 61 also displayed on the top left the lane arrows a lot. Glad to see that..

• Boyd 1792 Points
    IIRC, on my Dezl 760 it will go away if you just tap the screen anywhere, same for junction view.
  • truckinguy 110 Points
    My 61 DriveSmart lmts enters mass storage the same as my dezl did as well as the 2797. With a one time option or full time option. And yes it asks if you want to go to mass storage mode when putting a usb to it. Very fast and effective.
    The traffic has been good but never accurate really as things change so fast around Boston. I don't use it much.. I listen to the local cbs news station that has live traffic every 10 min. Much more accurate then the smartphone link or waze.
    I have green border with white hearts. I know Garmin will have a fix out for that as they don't have that issue on past units.
    I don't know why you don't like the junction view.. I use all of those to carefully take my truck to my destination. I travel all around the cities in New England and across crountry.. I am heading out west for a 8k mile trip next week. Love this unit. It's fast and best screen and many other things over the other gps units garmin has. Still bettter then the 61 Drive. I bought another one as well for backup. They are cheap enough.
  • Boyd 1792 Points
    edited August 20
    Junction view is OK, what I especially dislike is the "active lane guidance", where an animated computer generated 3d view of an exit or junction takes over half the screen. These are just created from data already in the map, they don't show landscape features like the junction view. I prefer the old style "lane assist" which is the arrows that appear at the top left corner of the screen, indicating which lanes you should be in. This is what the StreetPilot app uses, the interface is more similar to an older Nuvi model.
  • truckinguy 110 Points
    I like the active lane guidance..it shows the detail,contours,etc on the lane or lanes. I don't need the whole screen showing to navigate while merging . The arrows are just arrows no real depth to the meaning of them. I love the JV because it shows how the approach will be. Sharp turn or bridge for a sight point in setting up the exit maneuver.
  • paullady 3 Points
    anybody in this thread know how to edit the favorites on the 60? BaseCamp apparently does not talk to the SmartDrive stuff. TIA, pjl
  • sussamb 664 Points
    edited October 6
    It does. I do it all the time. It hasn't changed and is exactly the same process as with the nuvis.