This site uses cookies to offer you a better browsing experience. Find out more about how to manage cookies, or dismiss this message and continue to use cookies.

DriveSmart 60 is dead. Long live DriveSmart 61

2»

Comments

• Boyd 1795 Points
    This has already been discussed in your other thread: http://forums.gpsreview.net/discussion/31008/how-to-delete-items-in-saved#latest
  • Zemartelo 102 Points
    I got the driveassist 50 and i am loving it.
    The only negative is that he poi listing is super slow. I need it to be faster as its something i use all the time.
  • sussamb 671 Points
    What poi listing are you referring to?
  • Zemartelo 102 Points
    I have a custom POI file of about 20000 items and it takes forever for the driveassiste 50 to show the list. The previous models were alot faster.
  • My DS 61 which I've had for 2 months when I started this topic, has acted up. I am in New Jersey on a business trip. Drove down from Boston. Here doing short trips from the hotel to the office and out to dinner the DS 61 has rebooted twice while on two different 10 minute long routes. Don't know what's going on.

After meeting tomorrow I drive home. Will be sure to do a restart but otherwise not sure why it's crashing and rebooting in the middle of such short trips here.
  • sussamb 671 Points
    Have you tried doing a full shut down rather than just putting the device into sleep mode? You may already have done that but if not it generally resolves any strange issues.
  • It was doing a full shut down in the car. A crash and then full reboot. It did it again this morning on a 5 minute drive from the hotel to the office.

I how now done another full shut down and I decreased the map detail. I'm guessing one possibility is that in conjested NJ close to the Newark airport map updaing might have been taxing things.

We'll see how it handles the ride home today and if this continues when I get home.
  • Boyd 1795 Points
    Could be an issue with the current map, I have seen something similar around NYC in the past. Have been using Garmin's StreetPilot app for awhile now instead of a dedicated GPS. They rolled out an app update last year that would constantly crash in the NYC metro area but worked fine around my home in Southern NJ. Finally posted another update that fixed the problem.

If a newer DriveSmat device doesn't have the "horsepower" to draw the map in Newark... that would be pathetic. My guess would be either a map or firmware issue. Might be worth rolling both of these back if you have the ability to do that in the field.

Also, turn off the traffic receiver if you're usiing one. That could be another source of trouble in a congested area.
  • Well I made it home. No crashes. When I went down Tuesday the 61 was very slow drawing the map on More detail once I got on the Garden State Parkway and going south.

I put it on Less detail for the ride home.

I will do the update that came out. I didn't want to do that until I got home because you never know what might happen. Doing a map update killed an older Nuvi.
  • The unit updated the map over wifi. No system software updates at this time.

I've not had those crashed at home and usual vicinity or north to Maine. No knowing at this point what went wrong while in NJ unless it starts happening here.

But crap. Now i need to go in and delect the junction view file again.
  • I will say that on the ride down, the last 10 minutes of the drive, in the dark, the active lane guidance was helpful. There was one place where I had to navigate something like 3 intersections all connected and I would have fallen off the route without it. Perhaps it's good in a conjested, high ramp area like NJ across from NJC, but on my usual grounds, it's still just in the way. Garmin should provide an on/off botton.
  • Edit, NYC, not NJC