This site uses cookies to offer you a better browsing experience. Find out more about how to manage cookies, or dismiss this message and continue to use cookies.

2018.20 No Junction View?

I just made my first trip after downloading 2018.20 to my 55lm and I never saw a junction view along my route on I90, I29, and I94 in ND and SD. Have I missed something? Is the JCV file no longer part of the map update?

Comments

• alanb 375 Points
    edited August 21
    2018.20 has junction view. Did you have a route (destination) enabled or were you just driving in map view mode?
  • t923347 406 Points
    The JCV file is still part of the map update but I've found that a number of them no longer appear but have been replaced by what Garmin calls Active Lane Guidance. Don't know if active lane guidance is supported on your 55lm but if it is, you may have seen a "moving" lane with your route arrow in it in place of where you used to see a "static" junction view picture.

Of course there are other reasons that you didn't see any "views" including the JCV file specific to the 2018.20 map update is not in the JCV folder inside the Nuvi's .system folder.
  • jimirb 81 Points
    I was on a route to a destination that I travel once a year or so but this is the first time since this map update. Have always had junction views on this route with previous map versions. I'll take a look in the files to be sure the file is there.
  • alanb 375 Points
    If the file is there, you may want to try a master reset. If that doesn't work a reinstall of 2018.20 is probably in order.
  • jimirb 81 Points
    So....it appears 2018.20 did NOT download a new JCV file. The file on the 55lm is D3479220A and it's about a year old. I believe the correct 2018.20 file is D3060240A. I wonder if Garmin no longer supplies JCV for the 55?
  • alanb 375 Points
    edited August 21
    It is unlikely that Garmin would remove that feature. Here is what I would do ... If you have a thumb drive or SD card reader on your computer, use the cloning method to reinstall the 2018.20 map to the removable storage drive ... that should give you the correct JCV file for your device. Then copy the file to your nuvi, If it is too large to fit, put it on a micro SD card in folder \Garmin\JCV and install the card in your nuvi. Remove the incorrect JCV file from internal storage. That should take care of it.
  • jimirb 81 Points
    Alan, thanks for the suggestion. We are traveling but I have thumb drives etc with me; however, I'm not familiar with the cloning method. Could you explain that. Thanks.
  • t923347 406 Points
    edited August 22
    I don't believe the complete details are on this site but a google search for "Garmin maps cloning method" will highlight the proper site and full instructions.
  • alanb 375 Points
    edited August 22
    As a quick summary ... Have a 8 GB or larger thumb drive. Create folder \Garmin and copy file \Garmin\GarminDevice.xml from your nuvi to the same folder on the thumb drive. With the thumb drive connected to your computer (and your nuvi not connected) run Garmin Express and update/install the map to the thumb drive (the thumb drive will be recognized by Garmin Express as your nuvi). Now delete any old JCV files on your nuvi from folder \.system\JCV. Finally, copy the JCV file in folder \.system\JCV from the thumb drive to the same folder on the nuvi.
  • jimirb 81 Points
    Thanks guys....I REALLY appreciate your help.
  • jimirb 81 Points
    I performed the clone process with no problems. The JCV file that downloaded is the exact same file name D2479220A and the exact file size 115,669 but different "last modified" date. The original date was 10/26/16 and the clone download date was 6/4/17. The file size seems too small to be a large JCV file so the problem could be that the intersections I traveled have been dropped from JCV coverage.....but I wonder about the two different dates. Maybe Garmin fixed a bug? I don't remember when I did the 2018.20 update but it was probably earlier that 6/4/17. Tonight I will simulate the route that did not display Junction Views and see if anything has changes.

Again, thanks to all who have helped.
  • t923347 406 Points
    I noticed that the 55lm supports split screen junction views. Given that I wonder if we could make the larger JCV file available to jimirb. It would require the large file name to be renamed which may be one reason it may not work but it could be worth a try.

Another option could be to replace the file he got with the large full screen JCV file which can be obtained legally on the internet.

Just a couple of suggestions. Input?
  • alanb 375 Points
    I have found the date is usually the download date, but that doesn't fit with your experience. I hope Garmin is not doing with your nuvi 55 what they did with the 8x5 and 13xx/14xx series. When internal storage space got tight on these models, instead of using the SD card to provide the full map with full coverage JCV file like they should have, they only download a tiny JCV file with no photo real views and very limited coverage. But for some unexplained reason, they continue to provide the full coverage photo real file for the older nuvi 7x5 and zumo 6xx series even though those devices are also short on internal storage. No technical reason that I can see why they can't treat all these older devices the same. When you read in the forums about folks looking for the "large JCV file" after a map update, that's what is going on.
  • t923347 406 Points
    Posted at the same time again Alan.
  • alanb 375 Points
    edited August 22
    Yeah, I was thinking along those same lines Rick. I wonder if the split screen JCV file from a different nuvi model (one that still gets a full coverage file) would work? I personally don't like the effect the full screen file gives on a split screen device. I don't really know about the "legal" issue as the folks in that other forum that upload the large JCV file are doing it with very thin evidence of permission from Garmin IMO (a support email from Garmin sent to one individual a few years ago).
  • t923347 406 Points
    I agree Alan with all your points. I'll look for an easy way to provide @jimirb with the file if he indicates he's willing to give it a try.
  • jimirb 81 Points
    Well, here's the good news. I still haven't run the simulation on the route I mentioned, but I'm literally in the middle of nowhere on I94 in SW ND and I got a split screen junction view on my obscure exit....not very photo-real but it WAS a JV....so replacing the original file with the today's (with the same file name and size) appears to have solved the problem. And, yes, Alan, the JCV situation with the 1450 is the reason I bought the 55. I hope they don't do it to me again!!
  • jimirb 81 Points
    Thanks to everyone on this forum, I’ve learned a lot dealing with this JCV issue, most notably the cloning process. Many thanks to everyone who assisted me.
    I still have a couple of cloning questions, however. I have cloned 2018.20 onto a micro SD card that will fit into my 55lm. Since I have 2018.20 on internal storage also, I have no need to use the new cloned SD card now. But, with future updates that I install directly to the SD card, what do I have to do with the 2018.20 that’s on internal storage in order to use a newer map from the SD card?
    Also, concerning the JCV issue that started this adventure. It turns out that Garmin says the 155K JCV file is all that they provide for the 55lm. The photorealistic views that were there in earlier map versions are simply cartoons now and many are no longer provided at all. That’s why I did not see them on my route. Interestingly, a couple of them are in the cartoon views for my 1450 but not in the 55. BTW, the JCV file that 2018.20 downloaded to the 1450 is only about 24K. Here is Garmin’s response: “Hello Jim, I am sorry for the troubles and will be happy to assist you. Unfortunately, there isn't a JCV file available to add a PhotoReal image for the Junction View feature. Junction View is not available in all areas and can be found on many intersecting interstates in major metropolitan areas. I apologize for the inconvenience.”
    I live any normally travel in SD and ND where there is not much traffic so little actual NEED for Junction Views. It just irritates me for Garmin to continuously push its loyal owners around.