This site uses cookies to offer you a better browsing experience. Find out more about how to manage cookies, or dismiss this message and continue to use cookies.

CN EU 2018.20 NTU

Comments

• Sunrise 41 Points
    Installed with Garmin Express, thanks for the heads up.
  • jonnop 101 Points
    Deeply suspicious at the unbelievable speed of the update. It appeared to only take about 15 minutes. GE said it would take a bit over two hours.
  • sussamb 664 Points
    Does seem quick! Away at the mo so unable to check but have seen someone else comment it only took around 10 minutes.
  • jonnop 101 Points
    I briefly checked that the unit worked afterwards and nothing seemed amiss. The map correctly showed as 2018.20 and a new housing complex near where I live now shows up. On Tuesday I will give Garmin a call to see if they can offer any useful information.
  • sussamb 664 Points
    Previous downloads have taken me around 30 minutes on a 70mbs link. Will be interesting to hear what Garmin say as I'll be downloading on Friday :)
  • DerekW 131 Points
    My Map file is 5.27 GB, it took about the usual amount of time = sorry to be imprecise. However if the machine is left "on" is there a chance that G Express downloads the file to the machine in anticipation of it being used when the Satnav device is connected to the computer.
  • sussamb 664 Points
    That is certainly what Express is meant to do, normally though mine is never on long enough before I update!
  • DerekW 131 Points
    That would explain the short download time.
  • jonnop 101 Points
    edited August 27
    That was not the download time, it was the total time including the download. The map file, is that current.gpx? It is only 2.29 GB. There is also a GarminExpressIport.gpx at 968 KB. I should mention that I only have the West Europe maps not the full one with all sorts ofweird and wonderful East Europe countries. That could I imagine make a difference to the size of the file.

All rather bizaar, I have just checked with GE again and it is telling me there is a map update - file size 68.26 with installation time of 1 minute.
  • Sunrise 41 Points
    On Virgin Media with a download speeding in the order of 50 mbs the download, build map and copy files completed just short of the hour which was in keeping with previous updates.
  • Sunrise 41 Points
    On Virgin Media with a speed in the order of 50mbs the download, build map and copy files took about 50 minutes which was similar to previous updates.
  • Boyd 1794 Points
    edited August 28
    jonnop said:

The map file, is that current.gpx? It is only 2.29 GB. .

I think you're confused there. Current.gpx is a file that contains your track, favorites and routes. It should not be anywhere near 2gb, I would expect it to be less than 1mb. Map files have an .img file extension, not .gpx.
  • jonnop 101 Points
    I do have a fair number of favourites but no routes. How do I reduce the size of current.gpx? Also where is the map file and what is it called? Sorry, questions and more questions.
  • jonnop 101 Points
    Answered my own question about the GPX. deleted the travel history and the file is greatly reduced in size - now around 968 KB. Favourites (many of them) are still intact. Still cannot find the map file. It has to be somewhere.
  • t923347 406 Points
    jonnop said:

Still cannot find the map file. It has to be somewhere.

I don't think you mentioned what the model of your GPS is. If it is a newer Nuvi or Drive device the map file will be in a hidden folder which you will not be able to see in Windows without making some changes to the default view options the computer's OS and possibly changing the MTP / USB settings on the GPS.

Check out this thread for Windows changes required:

http://forums.gpsreview.net/discussion/comment/206690/#Comment_206690

And here are the GPS changes you may need to make as well:

1. Start NUVI by itself and go to Speed setting on the Map Screen
    2. Press the upper middle of the screen where the Speed is shown for 10 seconds.
    3. The Developers Screen will pop up
    (may see Configuration and Settings, if so select it)
    4. Scroll down to MTP SETTINGS
    5. Change from MTP AUTO DETECT to MASS STORAGE and save
    6. Shut down NUVI and connect to PC
    7. It should now connect in mass storage mode.
  • jonnop 101 Points
    t923347, you are right l forgot to mention the model. It is nuvi 2659LMTD or some similar set of letters.

I will try what you suggest and maybe that will give me a clue of what is going on.
  • t923347 406 Points
    Your model will need the changes to the Windows OS settings and the Nuvi's storage mode. Once those changes are made you will find the map file in a folder called .system (that's DOT system). The main map file should be called gmapprom.img
  • jonnop 101 Points
    Done that. The map file is dated for 26 August (the day that I did the update) and its size is 2.86GB. Would that be correct for the West Europe map? I note that DerekW reported his map as being 5.27GB. Is that perhaps the full Europe size?
  • Boyd 1794 Points
    I'm sure the full map is ~5gb and you obviously only have about half that coverage. I wouldn't waste time trying to shrink current.gpx, it's tiny in the scheme of things and pruning it won't make any significant difference in how much free space you have.
  • Sunrise 41 Points
    I have the Western Europe map and after the update the size is reported as 3,001,856kb
  • Boyd 1794 Points
    BTW, if you look at Garmin's site, they claim the full EU map is only 3.5gb: https://buy.garmin.com/en-US/US/p/6299#requirements

"Download Requirements
    File Information

The file size of this download and space required on device or microSD™/SD™ card is 3.5 GB."

Is the 5gb file just the map or does that include voice recognition, junction view, etc? There may also be other data embedded in the map file when you update an existing GPS as opposed to purchasing a separate map.
  • jonnop 101 Points
    Like Sunrise, mine reports 3,001,866kb - which is the size on the disk. But this contains quite a bit of excess space due to the (not terribly efficient) way that Windows allocates storage. The properties of the file show it as 2.86GB.

I still do not understand why the update only took about 15 minutes but feel happier that my file size matches that of Sunrise.
  • sussamb 664 Points
    The full EU map is now over 4Gb which is why if you download it you will find you get two map files, one EU North and one South. Western Europe is under 4Gb so comes as one map file.
  • Boyd 1794 Points
    edited August 28
    jonnop said:

But this contains quite a bit of excess space due to the (not terribly efficient) way that Windows allocates storage. The properties of the file show it as 2.86GB..

I don't think your reasoning is correct here. There has always been a discrepancy as to how a "gigabyte" is defined. Technically, a kilobyte is not 1,000 bytes, it's 1024 bytes (2 ^ 10). And a megabyte is not 1,000,000 bytes, it's 1024 x 1024 = 1,048,576 bytes.

So, do the math, 3,000,000 bytes is actually 2.86gb. I'd say Windows has allocated storage pretty well. ;)
  • jonnop 101 Points
    I do understand the mathematics of bytes, kbs, mbs etc. I also know that sometimes windows gets it done efficiently and at other times .......

As I said esrlier I am content that Sunrise has the same size file as mine. My confusion is the fact that the update took an unbelievable short time.
  • Boyd 1794 Points
    Well my point was simply that Windows uses the two standards for file size in a confusing way. I think that your 3,001,866kb file is actually 2.86gb and does not contain "quite a bit of excess space" as you stated. :)
  • jonnop 101 Points
    And confuse it does!