This site uses cookies to offer you a better browsing experience. Find out more about how to manage cookies, or dismiss this message and continue to use cookies.

Using GMT60 Traffic Receiver instead of Smartlink

I have a DriveLuxe 51 NA LMT-S. After reading in the Traffic Service Comparison document that the GMT60 receiver has detailed traffic data vs basic traffic on Smartlink, I purchased the receiver. Also in the document it states "Live Traffic service provided by Smartphone Link will override traffic provided by a Garmin Traffic or HD Digital Traffic cable". I would like to use Smartlink for everything else except traffic and use the more detailed data from the GMT60 receiver.

Q: Can I turn off traffic broadcast from the Smartlink app without shutting down all of Smartlink?

Q: Is there a way to view on the DriveLuxe unit if traffic is ON and where it's getting its signal if Smartlink traffic is disabled? With Smartlink ON, it does show the little antenna on top but how do I know the GMT60 receiver is enabled if Smartlink is OFF? My old 3790 had a simple colored dot that you quickly knew of traffic was being broadcast and what the status was ahead.

Thanks for your advice.

Comments

• Boyd 1786 Points
    knayrb said:

I have a DriveLuxe 51 NA LMT-S. After reading in the Traffic Service Comparison document that the GMT60 receiver has detailed traffic data vs basic traffic on Smartlink,.

That seems odd, I would expect the smartlink traffic to be better. The GTM 60 will receive HD traffic data where available but will fall back to the old TMC traffic otherwise. And many places have no traffic coverage at all. In both cases, you are getting a low bandwidth data connection with the receivers so each station only broadcasts traffic data for a relatively small area.

Smartlink uses high speed LTE data from your phone and should provide faster updates and coverage for everything. At least that is what I've always heard. Your post implies there are different levels of smartlink traffic (basic vs. detailed). Is that true? Have never seen that claim before.
  • alanb 373 Points
    edited August 24
    I have HD traffic with the GTM-60 on my 3597. I find Smartphone Link traffic superior in every way to the HD traffic, so I no longer use the GTM-60. AFAIK there is no way to use HD traffic on the GTM-60 and Smartphone Link for other functions, but I have never really tried, so I may be wrong.
  • Boyd 1786 Points
    edited August 24
    That's what I have always heard, and I think it's the same traffic I get with the StreetPilot onboard app - which is the best I've seen on Garmin. I wonder if the comparison the @knayyrb mentions is old? SmartLink traffic used to require a paid subscription but recently they made it free. This has been discussed in a couple other threads.

I would try using the smartphone link traffic for a bit and see how it works. Unless there's something new going on, I'd say you wasted your money on the GTM-60, which is an older, slower technology.
  • knayrb 0 Points
    That's unfortunate. This is the link: https://support.garmin.com/faqSearch/en-US/faq/content/i34WV8maJa11t7iwvYnz18. There is no date on the document. I guess the only way to test it out is to quit Smartlink and see what data comes over and then turn it on and see if it changes. Thanks for the advice. I'm out $60 if that's the case.
  • Boyd 1786 Points
    OK, I think I see what they're saying. The HD traffic has some specific detailed info about the local area you are in. So, evidently it might show a message "stalled car in left lane ahead" where the smartlink traffic would show an incident but might not specifically say it was a stalled car.

Or at least that's what it implies to me. Like I said, I use the StreetPilot app that I think is the same as smart link traffic. Driving around NYC the traffic info is usually very accurate and you can see it updating in real time on the map as road segments change color. The old style TMC receivers were basically useless in the NYC area, and there were also long stretches of the NJ Turnpike with no traffic reception. Pretty sure those same sections wouldn't get any HD reception either, you have to be close enough to one of the FM radio stations the broadcast the data.

I used to commute over 100 miles daily and the FM traffic receiver was pretty useless for that. There was no reception for the first 25 miles of my commute, and by the time I got a signal it was usually too late to pick a good alternate route.

If most of your driving is in an area where you can receive the HD traffic, it may be a good solution. In the past, I found Garmin's traffic reception maps to be "optimistic" at best. ;)
  • alanb 373 Points
    The Smartphone Link has much wider coverage than the cities they list in their support FAQ. The HD coverage is only where they show it on the map. For example, my local driving area (east central Iowa) has no coverage on the HD receiver, but has very good coverage on Smartphone Link. It is presently showing 29 incidents (mostly construction sites and < 5 minute traffic congestion delays) within 25 miles of my home..
  • t923347 406 Points
    I agree alan. I live in southern Vancouver Island and get zero traffic incidents using the GTM-60 receiver on my 3597 and DriveLuxe 50 but get frequent warnings using Smartphone Link on both the units.
  • truckinguy 110 Points
    plus the smartphone link gives you menu choices on what traffic alerts you want to come up. At least on my 61ds it does.
  • What i'm curious about is, on the DS61, on a multi-via trip, if the DS61 will look for traffic issues beyond the next via point or if it still looks only to the next via. If so, will it look ahead if the trip is created using shaping points instead.

Older Garmin units looked at the entire route for traffic. Newer Garmins using the Trip app only looked to the next via. Has Garmjn fixed this self created problem yet?
  • sussamb 663 Points
    Garmins traffic looks at the whole route. The only time it didn't was in the first incarnation of Trip Planner, so pre 2013.
  • knayrb 0 Points
    i live in the middle of the traffic broadcast signal in my area. My logic would be that if someone purchases the receiver which has more definition, the unit would use the receiver if available. When there is no signal it should resort to Smartlink which by Garmin's document is next best. This is reverse of how it acts.