This site uses cookies to offer you a better browsing experience. Find out more about how to manage cookies, or dismiss this message and continue to use cookies.

Dead battery, drive 51 usa lmt-s

Won't charge

Comments

• Boyd 1786 Points
    For starters, see this: https://support.garmin.com/en-US/?productID=552041&topicTag=region_powerandcharging

How old is it? Where did you purchase? Where are you located? If in the US and you bought from a big store such as Best Buy, check their website to see what their policy is for return/exchange. If you are still within that period, I would just take it back and exchange for a new one.

If that isn't possible you can contact Garmin directly. In the US, they offer a one year warranty, other countries may be different. Here's how to contact them. If you look at the link I posted above, there are other contact options at the bottom of the page.

PRODUCT SUPPORT
    U.S. 913-397-8200 | 1-888-442-7646
    Canada 1-866-429-9296
    Mon-Friday 7 a.m.-7 p.m. CST. Closed weekends and holidays.

Monday is our busiest day of the week. Please consider calling Tuesday-Friday to get through to an expert faster.
  • alanb 373 Points
    edited September 1
    Are you trying to charge it with the vehicle power cable that came with the device or another method (computer, wall charger)? Does the device power on when connected to the power source, but just not charge?
  • It won't turn on. Period. I have had it on the car charger. I have had it for 14 hours on the wall charger. I have held the power button down for the instructed 15 seconds both times. Nothing. No response.
  • Boyd 1786 Points
    edited September 1
    I would try holding the button down one more time, but hold it for a REALLY long time. It's possible that your GPS is fine but just experienced a software crash. Holding the power button for an extended period is the standard cure for this.

If that doesn't work, my guess would be that this isn't a "dead battery" but that something else has failed inside the GPS. It should still work when connected to power, even if the battery is dead.
  • Thanks for your comments. I tried holding it down for 3 minutes. Nothing happened. I really want this to work! Recap: no response after car charging (car engine on), and holding button 15 seconds. No response after wall charging 14 hours and holding power button down. It does not turn on under either circumstance while plugged in, or after.
  • Boyd 1786 Points
    Sounds like you have tried everything, maybe someone else will have a suggestion? See my first post, I suspect your only options are to get it replaced by the store or have Garmin fix it under warranty. If it's out of warranty, they have a flat repair rate and would most likely just send you a refurbished one instead of actually fixing yours.
  • alanb 373 Points
    I agree with Boyd, you have tried all the normal solutions. I think it is definitely time for a call to Garmin. Be sure to call rather than using email support. Garmin has been known to cover unusual problems for devices even if they are out of warranty when you make a reasonable case in a live conversation ... email support, not so much. Call them and see what they will do.
  • Boyd 1786 Points
    Agreed. But the first line of defense would be exchanging in person if you purchased it locally and are still within the time limit. That way you would get a new one in a matter of minutes as opposed to a week or more with Garmin where you'd also have to pay shipping both ways.
  • alanb 373 Points
    Actually, since the 51 just came out in January of this year it is definitely still under warranty. So Boyd is right ... get a replacement the easiest way you can.
  • Thanks for the guidance. I know this sort of thing can be annoying, and time consuming, but it certainly helped. Shirley