This site uses cookies to offer you a better browsing experience. Find out more about how to manage cookies, or dismiss this message and continue to use cookies.

Garmin DriveAssist 51LMT-D

Hi
Anyone have the above device, The problem I have is when on a route and turn a corner for example it either freezes or takes about 2 mins to realize that I have turned, software and maps are up to date with 5 bars for sat connection, the unit has been replaced as garmin thought it may be faulty but same problems are still there, everything is at factory default settings, to be honest as a courier driver this kit is useless because of speed issues and garmin support is a waste of time

kenny

Comments

• sussamb 664 Points
    I have a DriveSmart which works perfectly. Have to say that if yours is working out the box as you describe it I'd suspect a faulty device although the chances of getting two in succession is pretty small.
  • kenny61 0 Points
    My first thought was that I had another faulty unit as well, I would say its acting like a computer low on memory but it could also be bad software/firmware issue but not what you expect from a £300 unit.

kenny
  • Boyd 1794 Points
    You could try doing a hard reset. I wouldn't expect a brand new unit to need this, but you never know, and it clears a variety of odd problems. No harm trying IMO - see this link. I believe the new units use the same procedure listed for the nuvi 55, 56, 57, 58, and 60 series but maybe @sussamb can confirm that? http://forums.gpsreview.net/discussion/21511/how-to-perform-a-hard-reset-master-reset-on-your-nuvi

• sussamb 664 Points
    Master reset for the Drive models is covered here http://static.garmincdn.com/shared/uk/customer-care/Master_reset_instructions.pdf

However given it's happened on both his GPS I suspect it won't help, but as you say it's worth a try.
  • kenny61 0 Points
    thanks for reply I had done that on the returned unit after garmin suggested it. Just done it on the unit I have now and went out for drive seem to follow my driving route fine with no freezing, put a postcode in and then went in every direction apart for right one, couple of times it seemed to recalculate the new route a few times before picking one

kenny
  • Zemartelo 102 Points
    Hey Kenny,

Can I ask you at what zoom level the display only show the major roads only?
  • Zemartelo 102 Points
    btw does the driveassist 50 comes with 8gb for internal storage?
  • It has 14gb of internal storage although I would expect that some of that is reserved for the system.
  • Boyd 1794 Points
    The "system" is not part of the user-accessible memory that is reported by your computer. When you do a firmware update, it's flashed to this protected memory; you can't access this at all yourself. Now there are some "system" files that are stored in user-accessible memory, such as the files in the hidden .System folder. But the "brains" of the GPS are all stored in that inaccesible memory.
  • Zemartelo 102 Points
    Thanks Kenny for the reply.
    Can you verify at what zoom level the display stops showing the minor roads and only shows the major roads?
  • not sure of a level but its only takes a couple of clicks on minus button on map for minors to disappear, hope that helps
  • Zemartelo 102 Points
    Thanks Kenny, it seems to mimic oldr models (like my 2597) that all roads show on map up to zoom level 500meters