This site uses cookies to offer you a better browsing experience. Find out more about how to manage cookies, or dismiss this message and continue to use cookies.

Garmin etrex 20 - Track reverses spontaneously

I'm not an experienced user of my etrex 20. I've been following some GPX tracks downloaded from the internet, seemingly very accurate.

But half way through such a track, it may spontaneously reverse. The compass arrow pointing 180 degrees backwards, the ETA etc all going wrong too. Reselecting the track via Track Manager doesn't help either. The only way out is to 'Save as Reverse' via Garmin menu, then follow that reversed track. All then works as is should do.

Very annoying bug, any ideas? I have recently updated the firmware from Garmin's site to the latest.

Comments

• sussamb 663 Points
    I don't think it's a bug and suspect it's an error in the track, as I've never seen that issue and have had an Etrex 20 which I've used extensively for over 5 years. Are you able to post the relevant track? If not have you examined it in BaseCamp? Look in particular at the point it happened to see if the track itself does a 180 (if it does it's normally obvious as you'll see arrows going in opposite directions)
  • Roy22 0 Points
    Thanks for the speedy reply. I'm on holiday in Greece, so have limited ability to investigate the track with nothing more than a phone. But I'll post a link to the download for you. I'd also point out that another walk from this range went wrong similarly. The only other random thought is whether the etrex could be somehow latching onto another stored track when approaching shared junction points with other walks? Here's the link:

http://sifnostrails.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/07/sifnostrail5.gpx
  • sussamb 663 Points
    That gpx file contains multiple tracks, some of which head in different directions, so it's entirely possible that what you're seeing is due to the gpx file and nothing to do with the Etrex.
  • Roy22 0 Points
    Excuse the question if I'm misunderstanding things, but once I've selected a track, shouldn't it stick to that like glue? From each point to the next in rigid sequence?
  • sussamb 663 Points
    edited September 12
    Normally yes but it's unclear looking at the link you sent how that will appear in your Etrex. Did you simply copy the gpx file? How do the tracks appear in track manager?
  • Roy22 0 Points
    Oddly, every track I downloaded appeared twice, seemingly identically. I just copied the tracks to the directory. Does that mean anything?
  • sussamb 663 Points
    edited September 12
    Well it's tricky trying to determine how something like this happened remote from the device. I've never seen or even heard of it happening before so I suggest you just put it down to this gpx file. If it happens again with a track from a different source then perhaps it needs further investigation. Out of interest though, which track out of the 6 were you trying to navigate and where in the track did it reverse?
  • Roy22 0 Points
    I believe walk 7a on the same website was the other:

http://sifnostrails.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/07/sifnostrail7.gpx
  • sussamb 663 Points
    Still impossible to work out what may have happened, but certainly those gpx files contain numerous tracks that intersect each other, so anything I guess is possible.