This site uses cookies to offer you a better browsing experience. Find out more about how to manage cookies, or dismiss this message and continue to use cookies.

Garmin Drive smart update

It happend me now 3 times that on a crucial moment I couldn't see the sreen if the light hits it all you can see is yourself
The screen is way to reflective .
And lane assist is only available on major high ways.
The clasp is un handy.
The graphics are small.
How this can be Garmins flagship is be on me . This aas clearly not properly tested on the road .
Be warned .

Comments

• sussamb 664 Points
    I have a DriveSmart and don't have issues with reflections. Try experimenting with where you mount it.

As for graphics being small again I find them okay, but there is a 6 inch version if you struggle with the 5 inch.

Lane Assist is what it is. It's never been available at every junction, ever since Garmin introduced it, but I find most major ones are covered. If not there are normally road signs you can follow ;)
  • In Ireland it is not available unless maybe around Dublin .
    For the reflexion problem I want it on my wind screen. Not down deep in the car where I have to look down .
    And suggesting that you can look at the sign posts yes you can follow them but that is not what the gps systems are made for.
    For the mounting a magnetic system is much easier that clicks in place. By the drive smart you have to gues and try to find the mounting on the back.
    I keep saying that the silk finished screen of the nuvi255 is by far superior you will never have reflexion problems there.
    Regards

• sussamb 664 Points
    I mount mine bottom right of my screen, no issues there.

As for not reading road signs, I disagree. Having a GPS doesn't absolve the driver from looking at the road signs, your GPS is a guide not something to be followed religiously.
  • Hi yes I agree . But they should try to get it right and not rush in to get a product in the shop because the competition has one . If they had taken care and a bit slower and changed the point mentioned earlier this Garmin would have gone a lot better .
    Greetings over and out .
  • alanb 374 Points
    edited September 20
    In relation to reflection/brightness, I have the opposite problem as you between my old nuvi 755T (with matte screen) and my newer 3597LMTHD (with gloss screen). While there is no reflection with the 755, it washes out so badly in bright daylight that I can barely see it. I can adjust the angle on the 3597 to eliminate the glare/reflection and its brightness is far superior to the 755 so I have no problem seeing it in bright daylight. I mount my nuvi with a vent mount, so it is at about the same level as the car's speedometer.
  • Boyd 1792 Points
    After lots of experimentation with different glossy screen devices, I find that the solution is to mount it such that the screen reflects the ceiling of your car. That is the darkest part; visibility is a problem when the screen shows a reflection of the car windows since it's bright outside.

Basically it means tilting the screen up. I dislike having any device on the windsheild (or windscreen as you guys call it ;) ). It's a constant distraction. I would prefer to glance down at the GPS when needed. But of course that's just personal preference. Regardless, see if you can tilt it up enough so it reflects the ceiling.

Regarding the rest, well I'd say "it is what it is". But if you don't like the mounting system, why did you buy it? ;)
  • t923347 406 Points
    alanb said:

In relation to reflection/brightness, I have the opposite problem as you between my old nuvi 755T (with matte screen) and my newer 3597LMTHD (with gloss screen). While there is no reflection with the 755, it washes out so badly in bright daylight that I can barely see it. I can adjust the angle on the 3597 to eliminate the glare/reflection and its brightness is far superior to the 755 so I have no problem seeing it in bright daylight. I mount my nuvi with a vent mount, so it is at about the same level as the car's speedometer.

I agree Alan that the 3597 and my DriveLuxe 50 screens are both far superior to the older models. In any case I install the GPS on a Garmin Bean Bag mount that sits on the top of the dashboard, a good foot or more from the windshield. Never any glare or screen reflection of any kind.

• crazyfingers 100 Points
    edited September 26
    My DriveSmart 61 has a far brighter screen than several previous units I've used and I don't even have it on 100% brightness any more. As for reflections, I tilt it so that any reflections are from the roof of my car (which has no light source most of the time) and so I have very few reflection issues. I did find that with the large screen combined with the supplied suction cup that made it very hard for me to mount and unmount the unit to keep it out of the sun when not in use. The location on the dash, available space, angle of the windshield, etc.. I was constantly pulling the suction cup off the window instead of the unit from the suction cup such that the suction cup lock lever actually failed. I have gone back to the bean bag mount and have no more problems.