This site uses cookies to offer you a better browsing experience. Find out more about how to manage cookies, or dismiss this message and continue to use cookies.

Garmin Traffic

Does anyone else find that the Garmin traffic is really poor or maybe there is a problem with my camper 770?On a recent journey through France I was stuck in traffic for 4 hours but I didn’t get notified at all.

Comments

• sussamb 664 Points
    What traffic do you have? I find digital traffic in France very good, although I'm surprised given the quiet roads that you were stuck anywhere for 4 hours.
  • It says digital traffic but I have noticed it doesn’t always seem to receive it in certain areas.I was on the motorway between Metz and Luxembourg A20 I think and the jam lasted 48 miles.It was a nightmare but my traffic message completely missed it.
  • sussamb 664 Points
    Well it's possible it wasn't active in that area, but that's generally not the case from my experience, and I visit France about 6 times a year, driving hundreds of miles each time.
  • mike41 6 Points
    Traffic reporting is terrible in my areas of travel in the USA. I use Smartlink.

I would be interested what happened. I've contacted Garmin support they offered no help.
  • sussamb 664 Points
    Within UK it's amazingly accurate, but then we're a tad smaller than you ;)
  • mike41 6 Points
    The traffic incidents are available on my phone and also displayed when I use the incident on the menu on the shortcut app on the device, The problem as I see it is the pop-out window notification does not alert me when the incident causes a delay.I continue to ask how can I solve this problem. I have multi Garmin devices with the same issues.
  • sussamb 664 Points
    I get a pop out on all my devices that have traffic so can't imagine why you don't.
  • t923347 406 Points
    Not sure what device the OP is using but on the Drive and the 3597 models you may need to turn on the Map Layer for Traffic in order for the Pop Out to appear. That is set in Settings > Map & Vehicle > Map Layers > Traffic > Save
  • crazyfingers 100 Points
    edited September 26
    Around the Boston, Massachusetts area the HD Traffic (using the GTM 60 traffic receiver/power cable) is pretty good. It has gotten better over the years. The odd thing that I notice is that when we go on vacation from Boston area up to the coast of Maine I get good traffic information going north, I get very accurate information on delays on the beltway and up through the toll booths on I95 in New Hampshire and all the way up to Portland Maine.

But coming back I don't get anything until I get within the Boston area again. In the summer it's not uncommon for there to be a 10 mile jam running up to the Maine tolls and the bridge to New Hampshire at Portsmouth. But the GPS isn't getting that information. Coming home I usually my kids check the traffic on the internet. It's somewhat annoying but neither is is critical as there is only one way home, I95, and traffic good or bad, I have no choice but to take it.

I have no idea where the traffic transmitters are. (is there a map of traffic transmitters?) but I've assumed that going north I am closer to a transmitter closer to Boston but going south there may not be transmitters in which I'm within range until I get closer to Boston.
  • Actually I did find a map of traffic signals. https://coverage.here.com/hd-coverage.html It looks like my hypothesis was correct.
  • WAASup 86 Points

Traffic (especially Smart Link) is accurate and very helpful here in Canada (Toronto area).

image image
    image image