This site uses cookies to offer you a better browsing experience. Find out more about how to manage cookies, or dismiss this message and continue to use cookies.

Proof of false accusation

hey there!

I need al little help
end of august the police stood in front of our house and accused one of us drivers of a hit an run accident, nothing serious just a side rear mirror. Nevertheless
they spoke as if we just had to admit without any reconsideration.
now my wife looked at here calendar and immediately saw her entry saying VACATION. We drove by car. So now we are certain We couldn't have done it.
now I do have proof but only little and since I haven't been working in depth with my Garmin N?vi 3590 LMT, maybe one of you got a walkthru that can guide me how to print out my Garmin location on the day the accident happened?

thanks in advance
peter

Comments

• crazyfingers 100 Points
    edited September 26
    You might want to use mapsource or basecamp to load your trails onto a notebook and bring it down to the police station. Each little dropping has the date and time that it was dropped. (it also has your speed at the time) Of course cops may just accuse you of altering the data. Maybe not. They may not even know what a GPS trail is. But it might convince them if they understand what GPS trails are. I'd do this sooner than later as there is not unlimited storage for trails and they will usually erase themselves as new trails are added.

I don't believe that GPS trails are admissible in court though as they can be edited.

Good luck!
  • crazyfingers 100 Points
    edited September 26
    Unrelated to the GPS, being on vacation you probably stopped for gas and a snack somewhere that day. If you still have the receipts, that's evidence also that you were no where near this incident. Your credit card purchases can also be printed from your credit card company.
  • Boyd 1792 Points
    I would be discussing this with a lawyer, not a GPS forum. ;) But if you connect your Nuvi to your computer, open the GPX folder and find the file named Current.gpx. It will contain your recorded track. Copy that file to your computer and you can use Garmin's or other software to display it.

Depending on when this happened, it may have been overwritten - track files "wrap around" as they fill up and replace old data with new. It's been awhile since I looked at this, but there should be another folder inside named something like "archive". It may contain older copies of the tracklog.
  • alanb 374 Points
    edited September 26
    If the data is in current.gpx, it is generated from internal non-user-accessible memory when you connect to a computer. While you can edit current.gpx (which is only a copy of the non-accessible memory), you cannot edit the original data. The next time you connect to the computer, a new current.gpx will be created with the original unaltered data (as long as you have not deleted or overlaid that portion of the track log). Again, the police will not understand this, but it would be provable that your nuvi was in a specific location at a specific time. Of course, that does not prove that you or your car were in that location, only that someone with possession of the nuvi was in that location..
  • Yes, mapsource. I used to have mapsource on my computer. I just wasn't sure if Garmin express could do the trick.

Well the thing is, I do have receipts and even neighbors from both sides of our vacation trip beginning and ending have testified.
    Unfortunately the day it actually happened I have no written proof. We took a time out from "spending" grabbed a bag of goodies and went to a lake high up in the mountains. Only tracking companion our cell phones and my Garmin that lead us.
    The cops argued I could have taken the car for a six hour ride the evening before cause the accident and head back six hours. (I know it sounds obscure)

Thanks y'all
  • Your last comment only suppots my own belief thst cops are among the most dishonest segment of the population and can NEVER be trusted to be honest.. They are out to get someone and evidence be damned.

It really concerned me that they expected you to admit to something you didn't do. That is huge.

I can only wish you the best of luck. I hope I don't have to also hope you the best of lawyers who can nail the cops to the wall. They deserve to be nailed to the wall.
  • mclark 82 Points
    edited October 17

Your last comment only suppots my own belief thst cops are among the most dishonest segment of the population and can NEVER be trusted to be honest.. They are out to get someone and evidence be damned.

It really concerned me that they expected you to admit to something you didn't do. That is huge.

I can only wish you the best of luck. I hope I don't have to also hope you the best of lawyers who can nail the cops to the wall. They deserve to be nailed to the wall.

So I will make this very polite. To paint an entire segment of the population, or an entire profession, with such a broad brush is a little short-sighted. Just like there are SOME dishonest lawyers, dishonest carpenters, dishonest chefs, dishonest road sweepers, dishonest [insert any profession here], there are SOME dishonest police. It just so happens to sound like this gentlemen has run into some possible dishonest conduct. However, neither you nor I know the whole story. Maybe witnesses gave them an incorrect license plate number that matches his vehicle. Maybe witnesses mistook the car or the people they saw or something, and that is what the police are going on. To say that all police are dishonest is, again, at the least, shortsighted. Apparently you have either had a bad experience yourself, or you take some of the stories you read about SOME police and therefore assume they all are that way, who knows. Let's keep the discussion on GPS and leave your personal (and incorrect) views somewhere else. Thanks.
  • Perhaps then the cops need to do a better job weeding out their own bad actors instead of protecting them. ;)
  • Tim 1465 Points
    mclark said:

Let's keep the discussion on GPS

L-)

Yes, indeed. There are plenty of other places to discuss that. It has been a long time since I've had to moderate threads or users and I'd like to keep it going that way. :)