This site uses cookies to offer you a better browsing experience. Find out more about how to manage cookies, or dismiss this message and continue to use cookies.

DriveSmart 61 - NO Details?? HELP!

I received my DriveSmart 61 a couple of days ago. I updated the maps and software (I live in very countrified DSL land - it took almost 8 hours! :( ) Anyway, there is absolutely no detail, no matter how far I zoom in. I search for "restaurants" in Paris TN and get "NO MATCHES FOUND". What in the world am I doing wrong? I have loved, and loved some more, my 2 previous Nuvis. I thought learning this one would be a snap.

Thanks for any help you can offer...

Comments

• Boyd 1794 Points
    edited October 14
    Sounds like you are just looking at the basemap, which contains almost no detail. This could happen if there were a problem with the downloaded map, or if it wasn't actually installed.

For starters, you should have done a full backup of the device while it was new, before updating anything. That would allow you to restore to the original condition. But since you didn't do that, you will probably have to download again.

I also suffered with slow Verizon DSL for 11 years in my rural location, map updates would take as much as 12 hours. For that reason, I just did not update the maps very often, and that would probably be a better strategy for you. Do you have a family member or office with faster internet where you could try the update again?

I was amazed that Verizon actually brought FIOS to my tiny town this summer (after lots of political pressure) and I now have extremely fast 150/150 internet. My last Garmin map update took less than 5 minutes. :)

Information on backups can be found here: http://forums.gpsreview.net/discussion/21019/x/p1/

• sussamb 664 Points
    Look in Settings, Map & Vehicles, myMaps .... What does it say?
  • Boyd 1794 Points
    Good point, the map might just be disabled for some reason. You could also check the contents of the hidden .System folder by connecting the GPS to your computer. The backup thread I linked to above has instructions for revealing this folder. Does it contain a file named gmapprom.img? If so, how large is the file?
  • Thanks for the reply! I will try to maybe sit in a car dealer's lot and try their wifi! And I am SOOO jealous of your second to last paragraph.
  • OP here! I just re-downloaded the entire map thing (almost 8 hours!) based on the first reply above! Thank you for all your help...damn machine looks like it's back to "working"...I'll check in the morning!

Whew - what a PITA. Thanks again. Have a good night!
  • 8 hours. Wow. I updated my Drivesmart map this afternoon over our wifi at home and it took less than an hour. My sympathies on your slow connection speed.
  • 8 hours. Wow. I updated my Drivesmart map this afternoon over our wifi at home and it took less than an hour. My sympathies on your slow connection speed.

And I had to do it TWICE!!!! Luckily, I had a bunch of stuff to catch up on, on my DVRs!!

• Boyd 1794 Points
    edited October 15
    I feel for you! The DSL connection I've had since 2007 usually couldn't sustain 1 megabit - blows my mind that FIOS is literally 150 fimes faster (and it *really* is). But at 1mbit the theoretical minimum time to download a 3gb map update would be 6 hours and 40 minutes. But it always took me much longer, and with anything that takes that long the chances of some kind of network error were pretty high.

Talk to your town/county/state government representatives. The lack of rural broadband is becoming a hot topic and hopefully you will get more options before long.

Also, what kind of router are you using? Is it what your provider currently recommends? About 3 years ago I upgraded my original DSL router and saw speeds improve by 25 to 50 percent.
  • xyzHollyxyz 2 Points
    edited October 15
    My county is in talks about fiber and because of the mapping of 911 territories, I am the ONLY house on my street (out of 7 or 8 in a few miles) without FIBER!!! I begged, I pleaded, I still have DSL. It'll maybe be in a few years that I'll get fiber - my new hope will be next week to 'splain my predicament to the powers that be (let's see old widow, with cancer, no neighbors...that should get 'em) and maybe get the 911 map re-written! If I want to watch a Pay-Per-View, I load it overnight and watch the next night...but it sure is beautiful out here in the sticks!!! And quiet. :) I have a "newer" modem provided by Frontier Communications, my DSL POS.
  • Boyd 1794 Points
    edited October 15
    It's funny, Verizon notified me that I could get FIOS at my old home about a month before I moved to my new place in 2006. But I decided slow internet was a reasonable price to pay for life in a secluded location way back in the woods with a wild stream, surrounded by state forest. Have never regretted that decision. :)
  • Boyd said:

...But I decided slow internet was a reasonable price to pay for life in a secluded location way back in the woods with a wild stream, surrounded by state forest. Have never regretted that decision. :)

Love the way you think. My feelings exactly! Life is a series of trade-offs, and life in the secluded, quiet country has been worth each of them...