This site uses cookies to offer you a better browsing experience. Find out more about how to manage cookies, or dismiss this message and continue to use cookies.

The new Garmin Speak™ with Alexa

Garmin is continuing the trend of introducing products that rely on your smartphone. Seems like you could do the same thing with just the phone though... ;)

https://buy.garmin.com/en-US/US/p/591054

What You Love About Amazon Alexa — Now in Your Vehicle
Stream music playlists and podcasts through your vehicle’s stereo, play audiobooks, check the weather, and listen to news, sports stats or traffic updates — all while keeping your hands on the wheel and your smartphone stowed away

Place orders for home delivery of goods or food, create shopping and to-do lists, update your calendar, and remotely control smart home automation such as lights, locks and thermostat

Access exclusive Garmin turn-by-turn spoken directions by saying, “Alexa, ask Garmin … ”; display shows lane guidance arrows and upcoming turns

Choose from thousands of skills in the Alexa Skills Store

Requires download of the free Garmin Speak app to your Bluetooth®-enabled smartphone; Garmin Speak uses your phone’s data connection to stream Alexa responses through your vehicle’s stereo system via Bluetooth or AUX

Comments

• alanb 375 Points
    As I said in another forum, I think this will have about the same success as Garminfone and Garmin HUD.
  • I have no desire to connect my phone to the GPS just as i have no desire to connect my phone to the car.
  • Chris_Sav 59 Points
    The reason I use a GPS is that my phone only makes phone calls if and when I need it in emergency and without a flat battery.

So no interest to me either.
  • Boyd 1794 Points
    "all while keeping your hands on the wheel and your smartphone stowed away"

Garmin wants your smartphone stowed away, because if you take it out you might realize that it could replace their devices. ;)

• Tim 1465 Points
    edited October 18
    Boyd said:

because if you take it out you might realize that it could replace their devices.

:D