This site uses cookies to offer you a better browsing experience. Find out more about how to manage cookies, or dismiss this message and continue to use cookies.

cannot update the maps on nuvi 40

1. GARMIN EXPRESS v.5.7.1.0 gives this error, how can I get this file?
Could not install on this PC, Cannot find this:-
C:\ProgramData\Package Cache\{249CFC92-210D-401D-89AF-5B40B60BC3F4}v5.1.1.0\

2. MAPINSTALL finds my nuvi 40 but gives this error, what does it mean? My Nuvi works fine with all the maps but, recently a message flashed very briefly that maps need updating.
No unlocked maps were found for this device

Comments

• Boyd 1794 Points
    edited October 27
    Do you have a regular Nuvi 40, like this? https://buy.garmin.com/en-US/US/p/92773

Or do you have the Nuvi 40LM, like this? https://buy.garmin.com/en-US/US/p/100852

If it is the regular Nuvi 40, then you are not entitled to free map updates, you would have to purchase either a one time or lifetime update. The Nuvi 40LM includes lifetime maps and updates should be available through Garmin Express.

The message about out of date maps automatically appears after a certain amount of time, but if you don't have the Nuvi 40LM, you can just ignore it and it will go away. But if you do want to update the map, then you'll have to pay for it. :(
  • uli 0 Points
    I will pay then but, when I updated before was free as I have lifetime UK/Europe.

B UT why do I get those errors given above & how to correct the issue.

Forget the paying or not
  • Boyd 1794 Points
    Sorry, I don't know about the errors. But if you have lifetime maps and have updated before then your device must be a Nuvi 40LM.
  • sussamb 664 Points
    If you're sure you have lifetime maps call Garmin. They have a freephone number in the UK.
  • uli 0 Points
    Thanx both,

I have updated my maps a year ago UK/Europe.

1. I am holding my nuvi now & "About" in "System" reads : nuvi 40 ID 38510818328
    I now expand the View Map to pass the chanel into France, Italy e.t.c to all europian countries

2. Is it necessary to call Garmin? I am confused now!
  • sussamb 664 Points
    You need to look in Settings, Map and Layers, myMaps to see what is installed. If it says 2018.20 you are up to date.
  • uli 0 Points
    Thank you,

GARMIN:-nuvi40 ID 38510818328 Ser#:2PN051972
    Mine has Settings, Map , info= MAP Western Europe 2013.21 Software vr.4

G.E still does not work on my PC w10 but, on a Laptop w8 gives "No update needed, Up to Date Software vr.4
  • sussamb 664 Points
    Then you're well out of date. Your best bet to resolve this is to call Garmin.
  • Boyd 1794 Points
    The "no update needed" message regards the device firmware - its "brains". That is separate from the maps and all models receive free firmware updates. So this makes me wonder if you actually updated your maps before, or if you just did a firmware update, because those maps are around 5 years old and might be the original ones that were provided on the GPS.