This site uses cookies to offer you a better browsing experience. Find out more about how to manage cookies, or dismiss this message and continue to use cookies.

Recording tracks of places you have traveled.

I have two old Nuvi 1450's and they keep a record of everyplace you have traveled making it easy to see where you are and how to get back. My new Nuvi2597LMT does not do that or I just don't know how to turn it on. Will it turn on to show where I am and have been. When I'm in the woods the old ones recorded every track so I knew where I was and how to get back out of the woods even though there were no roads. . Can anyone help me?

Comments

• alanb 375 Points
    edited November 4
    Yes, your 2597 will record tracks. Try Settings > Map&Vehicle > Map Layers > Trip Log.

That said, an automotive device isn't really a very good device for hiking in the woods. For one thing, the newer nuvi's and Drive models have a very short battery life, so your hike better be pretty short. A handheld device is a much better fit for hiking and following tracks.
  • Specifically the track will stop when it loses satellite contact as is often the case when in dense woods leaving a gap in the snail trail. The battery life is considerably limited as mentioned due to the screen backlighting and you must switch off the power disconnect timer.
    I tried using the nuvi2797 with an external battery for a specific track, as the download was better than the handheld and it worked fine, but the micro USB socket makes it vulnerable to damage when carrying the two.
  • Thanks everyone for the info. It works great.