This site uses cookies to offer you a better browsing experience. Find out more about how to manage cookies, or dismiss this message and continue to use cookies.

GPS that displays State Road numbers

jtsou 0 Points
edited January 2 in GPS Recommendations
I am looking for a GPS unit that displays state road number instead of(or addition to) the common road name.

Example:

Peach tree Rd is State Road 1392

My job dictates that I use the State Road numbers instead of the common name for reports.

I had an old GPS manufactured by Mio that accomplished this however that one will no longer power on when connected to power. It displayed road names in this manner:

Peachtree Rd(County Road 1392)

I know they are not always 100% accurate however I have backup spreadsheets, but the GPS was nice for quick refreshers.

I rarely use the GPS for navigation rather it is mainly for situational awareness. Research online shows that Garmins usually will not display the road number only the common name.

Thanks for any help.

Comments

• mike41 16 Points
    I have not seen a Garmin that shows state route numbers. I do have a TomTom 740 that shows both local names and state route numbers. This is an older model TomTom I do not know if current models offer this feature.
  • crazyfingers 106 Points
    It would be nice if the Garmins displayed the state road numbers. I can't speak for everyone but I think in terms of the road numbers. Where I am Highway 1 which I believe meanders it way down nearly all of the US east coast, sometimes combined with an interstate, has different names. In my area it's called the Providence to Boston highway but no one calls it that. Even state road 27 which circles much of Boston outside of the main beltway, has two names even within my own town.

I did notice that when viewing the map in MapSource or Basecamp it does display the Rt numbers but you need to zoom in and out to get it to display sometimes.

It might be easier to create your route in Basecamp or MapSource and then export to your unit.