This site uses cookies to offer you a better browsing experience. Find out more about how to manage cookies, or dismiss this message and continue to use cookies.

Heart icons on Garmin 2699

Is there any way to turn off all the heart icons on the screen? They are so numerous they get in the way of the map

Comments

• sussamb 780 Points
    edited January 7
    You can switch them off in Map layers, Places along the road
  • t923347 414 Points
    Note that turning off the "Places along the road" in Map Layers will also turn off all other icon displays on the map screen (POI icons that are part of the Map Data, Custom POI icons you may have installed on the unit, etc.)
  • alanb 429 Points
    I think it is universally accepted that Garmin "screwed up" icon display on these newer units with their big ugly hearts and other meaningless icons that no one wants on their display. What in the world were they thinking?
  • Boyd 1955 Points
    Evidently they are pretty happy with it though, because they started using the current system in 2012 and haven't changed it since then.
  • sussamb 780 Points
    edited January 8
    While I wish the icons were different I certainly don't find they clutter up my display like others report but then I normally run in 2D mode and with the map zoomed in to 300 feet.
  • Boyd 1955 Points
    Sure, at 300 feet you are not likely to see very many. Sort of limits what you can do with the gps at that zoom level though. ;)
  • sussamb 780 Points
    Well it gives me more than ample warning about where to turn. If I feel I need more warning I just zoom out a bit. Really depends on road density which in UK is fairly dense. When I'm in France I zoom out a bit more but not enough to cause issues with the green hearts.
  • Boyd 1955 Points
    And some people never look at the GPS screen at all and only listen to the voice prompts. The point is, Garmin made a change that made the display more cluttered for no apparent reason, limiting its usefulness for people who like to zoom out and see more of the map.

But they started messing up the display of favorites/waypoints way before that. I think it was 2008 with the Nuvi 1xxx series (?) when they stopped displaying the names of the favorites on the screen and only showing the icons. Apparently they felt they didn't mess things up enough then, so ~2012 that changed the Nuvi so it wouldn't even show your preferred icons anymore.
  • sussamb 780 Points
    Well you can change the icons shown for favourites, but they are still the heart icon size and nothing like as numerous as the previous icon set. So you can have 'preferred icons' but more limited in scope than before. Wish they'd stuck with the original icon set as I, and I'm sure many others, far preferred it. The annoying this is that the map POI icons are the original size, so favourite icons could have been made the same size so they match. But hey, as we all know, Garmin are a law unto themselves ... ;)
  • crazyfingers 106 Points
    Someone pointed out here once before that at least on the Drive series, if you touch the map area, and then press the back button, all the hearts will go away. But you need to do that every time you navigate. It's not a setting that sticks.