This site uses cookies to offer you a better browsing experience. Find out more about how to manage cookies, or dismiss this message and continue to use cookies.

Poor Experience with DriveLuxe™ 50LMT-D

Thought this might interest users.

Had to travel from Dover to East Grinstead in UK yesterday for a laser procedure on my troublesome right eye. Duly setup the trip, min time, no avoidances, no intermediary points and set off, fortunately with time to spare.

All went well until traffic flashed up of a 2 hour delay some 50 miles ahead on the notorious M25 near Clackett :Lane services, turning on the radio told us the motorway was closed (oh b---------x!!).

Accepted the alternate route that the satnav was offering from several miles ahead. about half an hour later I wanted to check the current situation before the detour but you cannot get back on the satnav as it not thinks there is no delay on the alternate route.

Stopped the trip and started it again only to be shown as arriving 2½ hours late but no delays!! on the ORIGINAL blocked route. Matrix signs flashing long delays, I dived off the motorway to cut across country expecting the satnav to recalculate. it would not! and insisted I turn around and go back to the original impassible route with 2½ hour late arrival.

Got 'erself to reprogramme preferences to shortest distance, but got the same answer to go back to the closed motorway now some distance BEHIND us! reprogrammed to shortest time and blood pressure rising but exactly the same answer.

Checked avoidances and none set so set avoid motorways! lo and behold the arrival time came forward 2 hours across country for the remaining 20 miles and I just made the appointment.

Have been impressed by the DriveLuxe™ 50LMT-D thus far, but not yesterday!

To recap the route had only start and finish points and calculation mode had no avoidances apart from U turn and unmetalled roads -should have done better!

Comments

• sussamb 764 Points
    Strange, can't see why if it knew the road was closed, particularly if you then chose the shortest route, guess we'll never know why ;)

If I ever get an unexpected result though I do a full shut down then restart. It's always cleared any weird stuff.
  • alanb 419 Points
    Is it possible that when you stopped and restarted the route you were in an area that didn't have any traffic reporting stations in range? I know sussamb tells us that traffic coverage is great in the UK, but are there any dead areas where you don't get a signal?
  • AndreyT 105 Points
    edited January 16
    It appears that from the very beginning the device saw the original route as slow, but not entirely blocked. So, you can't blame it for routing you through an impassable route - the device did not know it was impassable. This is an issue with the traffic broadcasting service, not with the device.

In my experience I see that when I "reset" the route (i.e. cancel the navigation and then immediately re-request the same destination), it takes varying amount of time foir the device to re-suggest the alternate route. Sometimes it takes quite a long time. I always thought that this was depended on the traffic bradcast system "sweep" times.
  • Chris_Sav 116 Points
    Think you missed the point, the device tried to take me through a route that was going to be over 2 hours longer than one readily available, both through time and distance. It recalculated umpteen times as I deviated from the loop back route it wanted to take at every junction.

I think susamb's suggestion of a cold boot much more sensible.

I believe I exposed a flaw by stopping restarting the route, expecting it to tell me what the current delay was. The machine still knew there was a problem or it would not have added over 2 hours to the expected time.
  • Chris_Sav 116 Points
    Used it for the first time this spring this weekend and it played up again.

Coming home to Deal in East Kent it wanted to take me around the Thanet Way which is neither the quickest nor shortest, no avoidances and no traffic flashes. I ignored the route and stayed on the A2 at the end of the M2, not the Thanet Way. Estimated time of arrival came forward by ten minutes on the first recalculation!

Had similar problems on Friday on the way there with fastest/shortest route and a fixation to get back onto the originally mapped route as quickly as possible, regardless of sensibility.

Going to have a look at reloading the map and possibly software.

Trip across country to a medical appointment tomorrow will be done with the old 3790
  • Chris_Sav 116 Points
    Master reset has cured the Thanet Way fixation
  • sussamb 764 Points
    Good to know :)
  • Chris_Sav 116 Points
    Same trip today as problem first one from East Kent to East Grinstead went fine, no problems with the Drivelux 50 being single minded!

Previous behaviour was quite bizarre
    Firstly it always wanted to go the long way around via the Thanet Way travelling West to M2 on fastest time to/from Deal, quite a long loop around to the North when shorter good dual carriageway is available.

Secondly, trying to get over the problem by switching it to shortest route, it always tried to get back onto the original shortest route even if totally stupid as with the Clacket Lane problem. Did it on yesterday's problem run on shortest route that routed me through towns as expected, if I ignored the route and went around the town on a bypass it would tell me to take every turning off the bypass back into the MIDDLE of town even when almost past the town! (only start fish locations, no interim)

Master reset seems to have cured it (had the 3790 with me just in case)

• sussamb 764 Points
    Master reset tends to resolve any strange issues, I tend to do one after every map update.
  • Chris_Sav 116 Points
    sussamb said:

Master reset tends to resolve any strange issues, I tend to do one after every map update.

Looks a good tip on the Drivelux, 50LMT-D will do from now on.