This site uses cookies to offer you a better browsing experience. Find out more about how to manage cookies, or dismiss this message and continue to use cookies.

GPSCity site weirdness

When I go to their website this is what I get. It's pretty hard to enter a code when there is no code! And if I click the get new code button or try to access the site again, I just get a blank page....

Comments

• Tim 1465 Points
    Huh, weird. I've seen that on other sites, but I don't get it when I go to that one.
  • Boyd 1838 Points
    edited January 17
    Just clicking on a product link from a thread over at laptopgpsworld gives me the same thing, but there's an image in that box now that looks a little like a spider web. Maybe it's one of the questions from the president's cognitive test and I should be worried? Because I sure don't see any "code" in that image, LOL. :D
  • t923347 408 Points
    Works fine for me as of this posting.
  • Boyd 1838 Points
    edited January 17
    Very strange, I still get the same thing. Tried deleting cookies, quitting and restarting my browser, no change. Maybe I really am a robot? :ar!

Just tried from another machine on my LAN and it's the same too. So I guess it has something to do with my IP address?
  • Boyd 1838 Points
    edited January 18
    Same thing again today. Am I blind? I don't see any "code" to enter. Whatever, thegpsstore.com has a good selection of products and their website works fine.

• alanb 398 Points
    Are you using a proxy? Not sure why you are getting this and others aren't.
  • Boyd 1838 Points
    edited January 18
    No proxy. Have been all over the internet for the past couple days and no problems on any other sites. Something is broken there and it's hard to imagine that it doesn't affect someone else somewhere. Although it's stupid, I don't mind entering a code but they aren't providing one. I'm sure it worked for me about a week ago. And like I said, I tried this from another computer on my LAN with the same results, and that computer was a server that has virtually never been used with a browser so there are no old cookies or anything.

I was going to post a link to one of their products in a thread on another site, but will not do this anymore, will link to a different vendor with a website that actually works. Big thumbs down to gpscity. :O)

[edit] FWIW, I get the same thing if I try to access gpscity.ca
  • alanb 398 Points
    Maybe you could send an email to support@gpscity.com and report the problem. I am sure they wouldn't be happy about blocking a potential customer.
  • Boyd 1838 Points
    edited January 18
    Yeah, that is true, but why should I bother? So I can have the "privilege" of visiting their website? That's ridiculous, I'm not going to waste another minute on this when there are plenty of other websites that sell the same things.

Just to give them the benefit of the doubt, I upgraded my router fimware (which I've been putting off for awhile) and rebooted. Still the same thing.
  • t923347 408 Points
    edited January 19
    Out of curiosity, can you get on gpscity.com from a link like:

http://www.gpscity.com/delorme-inreach-se

I'm still able to go directly to the site using just gpscity.com. I'm using the latest version of Chrome but can also get there using Firefox and Internet Explorer.
  • Boyd 1838 Points
    edited January 19
    Thanks, just tried but it gives me the exact same thing. I tried this on two different Macs running different versions of Safari. Just tried it from my Windows PC on Firefox with the same results. But this time the word "Visual" flashed very briefly in the "spiderweb" code box. I tried entering that and no go. However, after doing that the word "Visual" appeared in red in the code box, along with a little icon that looks like a "broken" document. Maybe this is some sort of Visual Basic error message?

There are actually two issues here. The obvious one is that it thinks I'm a robot for some unknown reason. My guess is that their software does this to a range of IP addresses. Have been working on a new website myself and there are similar options for blocking robots.

But the real problem is that their software is mis-configured and does not show the "captcha". This has nothing to do with me, it's their screw-up.
  • Boyd 1838 Points
    edited January 19
    Just tried another test. Turned off wifi on my computer and used bluetooth to tether it to my phone's LTE data connection. Just as I suspected, everything worked fine at GPSCity. Your link worked and I could also go to their homepage.

Disconnected the computer from the phone, turned wifi back on and the same problem came back. No surprise there....
  • Boyd 1838 Points
    Just to follow up, their site is working properly for me again.