This site uses cookies to offer you a better browsing experience. Find out more about how to manage cookies, or dismiss this message and continue to use cookies.

Nuvi 52LM - Agreement Prompt

Hi Gang: Is there anyway I can power up my old 54LM and NOT constantly see the agreement prompt? Thank You!

Comments

• Boyd 1953 Points
    edited January 27
    I don't think so. But doesn't it go away all by itself after 30 seconds or so? All of my Garmin devices are like that. It's funny though, I use the Garmin StreetPilot app on my iPhone, it looks just like a Nuvi. And it actually has a menu option to disable the warning.I wonder why they allow App users to do that when this option has never existed on their dedicated devices?

• menhir 62 Points
    It would be nice if someone, or maybe even Garmin, would come up with a cure for the agreement prompt.
    I'm pretty thick, but after ten or so years even I get the message...No need to keep repeating it. >:P
  • sussamb 764 Points
    edited March 2
    I think you'll find that legally they have to keep repeating it. It's really no big deal surely, it goes away after a few seconds ... although given the app allows you to switch it off maybe I'm wrong.
  • Boyd 1953 Points
    edited March 2
    I still don't get it. Why is there an option to disable the warning in the app but not on a dedicated device? Do you really think there's a "legal" difference? I also never understood why you couldn't disable autozoom if you selected the US as your location. At least they changed this on the newer Drive series. ;)

But the warning does go away after a few seconds on my Nuvi 3550 and Dezl 760. The Dezl always requires you to acknowledge that it is set for automotive mode and will not show truck warnings.
  • Tim 1467 Points
    There could be. On the app, it can send a confirmation back to Garmin that the user has accepted the agreement. So they could keep a list of device IDs along with a timestamp of agreement. While some dedicated devices have connectivity, it might not make sense to support that "feature" for some devices but not others.
  • Boyd 1953 Points
    Interesting point... so if I try to sue Garmin, they might be able to come back and say "not our fault - you deliberately disabled the warning message at 3:00 PM on Friday March 2. 2018". Somehow it's hard to believe Garmin actually does this, but they certainly could.

And it would be pretty easy to implement on the dedicated devices, it could be stored in the protected memory area and relayed to Garmin whenever the user checks for a map or firmware update. And IIRC, their newest devices do this automatically over wifi.
  • alanb 419 Points
    edited March 2
    I am just happy that Garmin lets you turn the safety feature off (touch screen locked while moving). I have heard that some of the built in dash units don't allow the safety to be turned off.
  • sussamb 764 Points
    Very true!