This site uses cookies to offer you a better browsing experience. Find out more about how to manage cookies, or dismiss this message and continue to use cookies.

A little problem updating my old Nuvi550

I installed the new 2019 maps to my wife's nuvi, my Zumo 660, and my computer today. All went well.
My old Nuvi550 still works but lacks the memory even to install the lower 48, so using MapInstall I chose the option to install the more extensive lower 48 and much of Southern Canada maps to the memory card I had in the device.

According the MapInstall, the installation was successfull, but when the GPS is turned on I recieve an error message that states..."Cannot unlock maps"

Going to the setup menu, the button to display which map is installed on the device is greyed out.

I entered the location of a couple of Canadian Cities and the GPS plotted it so it's reading something, but I noticed that some detail seems to be missing in the display...like my own street. :-)

I checked on the files installed on the SD card. They, along with the dates modified are...

express 5/30/2017
deae0814....(long file name here, a GMA file) 1/27/2018 (today)
gmapsupp.gme 5/23/2017 GMA File
gmapsupp 1/27/2018 Disc Image File
gmapsupp.unl 5/23/2017 UNL File
gmaptz 5/23/2017 Disc Image File

I'm not sure what's going on here. Any idea what's happening and how I can fix it?

Comments

• sussamb 759 Points
    Yes, you have transferred a map that isn't unlocked for your device. Connect your 550 and install the maps to your PC using Express, then transfer the map to your 550 using MapInstall.
  • menhir 61 Points
    edited January 27
    That's the very process I used to get me to this point.

Am I missing something? :-)

I had the maps installed on the computer when I upgraded my Zumo*. MapInstall properly shows the SD card in the device as the destination and displays the proper map that's already on my computer.

*So, what I believe I am missing, is that I should reinstall the map again to my computer with the Nuvi plugged in instead of the Zumo. Right? If so, should I erase the files on the SD card first, or will they just be overwritten?
  • alanb 418 Points
    edited January 27
    The MapInstall method should work, so apparently something got corrupted in the process. My guess is that the "deae0814...." file shown in your list is the culprit.

Another option would be to use cloning and put the entire map directly to SD card with Garmin Express. I think the 550 supports map files larger than 2 GB, so you should be able to put the entire NA map on the SD card. If you are interested in using cloning, just Google "Garmin Maps Cloning Method" and you will find it.
  • sussamb 759 Points
    edited January 27
    menhir said:

*So, what I believe I am missing, is that I should reinstall the map again to my computer with the Nuvi plugged in instead of the Zumo. Right? If so, should I erase the files on the SD card first, or will they just be overwritten?

Yes, and it should be fairly quick as it should simply download the relevant files necessary to create the unlock codes for your nuvi. I'd erase the files from the SD card first, just to keep things simple.
  • menhir 61 Points
    edited January 27
    I uninstalled the files from the SD card (saved them first), plugged the Nuvi 550 in and using Express, found that it would only offer to install the lower 48 to the computer. No option for the full NA map even though I successfully installed that to the computer with the Zumo yesterday.

MapInstall will allow me to install the full existing NA map from my computer to the Nuvi SD card, as I did yesterday, but as before, I'm unable to unlock the map.

I feel a quandry coming on. :-)

BTW, a couple of years ago I successfully used the cloning method to install the full NA map to the Nuvi, but all subsequent attempts to update those maps failed. I never could find a solution that worked. That's why I'm pursuing this avenue.
  • sussamb 759 Points
    That would indicate your nuvi only came with the lower 48 installed. Is that possible? The other possibility is that at some point you only downloaded the lower 48. Try downloading the lower 48 to your PC then run Express again, see if you're then offered the full map. I do know that on devices if you have a subset of a map installed and want to install the full map you must first update the subset before you can change to the full map.
  • menhir 61 Points
    edited January 27
    I was wondering if that might work...I'll give it a go and report back.

The device did in fact come with the full NA map but when the map sizes increased past it's capacity, even after I deleted unnecessary files, I was forced to settle for the lower 48. I eventually installed an SD card and used the cloning method to conquer Canada again, but as I mentioned before, further updates using the cloning method never worked.

Well, it's raining, cold, and miserable outside so I'm going to nip back up to my office to try again. With coffee. If it doesn't work...then beer.
  • menhir 61 Points
    edited January 28
    sussamb said:

Try downloading the lower 48 to your PC then run Express again, see if you're then offered the full map. I do know that on devices if you have a subset of a map installed and want to install the full map you must first update the subset before you can change to the full map.

I've had some success doing this. I used Express to download the lower 48 to the computer with the Nuvi connected, I switched to MapInstall and the whole NA map was now there at my disposal. I installed it on my device and no unlocking was needed.

The device Map Info shows:

CN North America NT 2019.10
    [1] WESTERN ALASKA, EASTERN ALASKA, NORTH ... and the rest runs off the device screen.

Although I'm sure I selected all the sections I wanted in MapInstall, it looks like some are missing.
    When I tried a test route to some random Canadian destinations, Guelph for example, it ended up plotting an extremely roundabout (I live in Southwest Pennsylvania) path through the mid-west in excess of 2K miles long.

I tried Toronto, only several hours away, and it did the same thing.

A test route to Sturgis SD produced the proper result.

I'll go back later and try again, but I'm happy that we're on the right track. Thanks.

PS: The reason I'm drudging through this with an older device I rarely use is...
    1) It's nice to have a backup on long motorcycle trips
    2) Most important, my Zumo is also nearing capacity as of this update, and I can foresee having to go through this process with it too, in the near future. I want to get it straight before that happens. :-)

• menhir 61 Points
    edited January 29
    Solved!
    I reloaded all the maps sections to my GPS...as before, making sure that nothing was missing...as before.
    And ended up with the same problem...as before. Grrrr.

It had to be something other than the upgrading process, so....In a rare moment of clarity I looked up the avoidances.

Toll Roads.
    It was set to avoid Toll Roads. :-L
    Darn near every road going into Canada is considered a toll road.
    I unchecked Toll Roads, had the device calculate a few test routes, and everything works just fine.
    Normality has been achieved.

I wish I'd have thought of that earlier.
    Live and learn.

And as always, thanks for the help.
  • t923347 408 Points
    Yea, this trips up a lot of folks that have the toll road avoidance on. Hard to get into anyplace in Ontario or Quebec without using a crossing with tolls.