This site uses cookies to offer you a better browsing experience. Find out more about how to manage cookies, or dismiss this message and continue to use cookies.

Garmin routing process

My garmin tries to pull me off interstate and route me thru each town exit I come to. If I am routing from one city to another city in the travel process it route me off my route every city I pass...is this something I can turn off?

Comments

• sussamb 759 Points
    Check avoidance settings to make sure you haven't selected avoid highways etc
  • mavison 31 Points
    I would expect a GPS device to take you to your destination via the points you have specified. If just a city, surely that point would be the centre? Why specify via cities if you did not want to go there ... leave them out and let the Garmin work out the best route to your destination?
  • Boyd 1848 Points
    You could try doing a hard reset on the device, sometimes it "cures" routing weirdness (this can happen following a map or firmware update). See this, and note that you should first backup any saved locations as they will be erased. http://forums.gpsreview.net/discussion/21511/x/p1/
  • sussamb 759 Points
    edited February 3
    mavison said:

I would expect a GPS device to take you to your destination via the points you have specified. If just a city, surely that point would be the centre? Why specify via cities if you did not want to go there ... leave them out and let the Garmin work out the best route to your destination?

Good point. I hadn't realised the OP was doing that but realise having re-read his post he is, which explains exactly why he's being routed through them :)
  • Chris_Sav 116 Points
    Just sounds to me like its on shortest distance rather than fastest time
  • mavison 31 Points
    Chris_Sav said:

Just sounds to me like its on shortest distance rather than fastest time

Surely if the OP has asked to go via city centres, it will route via them regardless?

• tj0855 1 Point
    nope...entered starting point and destination ONLY,.... really confused by it all.
  • tj0855 1 Point
    nope op entered starting point and destination ONLY . Starting to think that garmin and others have been compensated by national BBB organizations to infilterate platform to send us thru every city shopping and business district we pass on interstate.
  • Boyd 1848 Points
    LOL... did you also notice any black helicopters following you? :))

Try doing the hard reset. There have been many similar threads here where that fixed the problem.
  • tj0855 1 Point
    dang! now that u mention it yes i have seen black helicopters following me and thanks to this new gps they caught me downtown in a city i didnt want to go thru.......hahahahahah
  • tj0855 1 Point
    tj0855 said:

dang! now that u mention it yes i have seen black helicopters following me and thanks to this new gps they caught me downtown in a city i didnt want to go thru.......hahahahahah

• tj0855 1 Point
    thank you for all your inputs...will try the re set and reuse the unit to c if it has corrected itself. if not ......into the garbage it goes.
  • sussamb 759 Points
    I'll send you my address ... save you junking it :)
  • Seems to me you must have told it to go by the shortest route and that is just what appears to be doing.
    Unfortunately they do what you tell them to do, not what you want.
    I had an identical problem and will not forget because it cost me an extra toll.
  • truckinguy 115 Points
    The older units use to have a menu in the gps to deal with this issue.. miss that. Some areas of the us this menu would help.