This site uses cookies to offer you a better browsing experience. Find out more about how to manage cookies, or dismiss this message and continue to use cookies.

Garmin RV 770 LMT-S not charging with computer or wall charger

My brand new Garmin RV 770 LMT-S does not charge when connected to a computer or to a wall charger, it only charges when connected to a 12V outlet in my car. When I connect the device to my computer, or to an iPhone wall charger, or to an iPad wall charger it only shows the warning message ""The attached cable cannot currently charge your device."

When searching for this message on the Internet I come to this Garmin page: https://support.garmin.com/faqSearch/en-US/faq/content/kXdqT2nArD0XT3ycQBn3Z8. Here Garmin says that this is "normal" but they don't say how the device can be charged.

Their further instruction to enter the file transfer mode does also not help - when I do this I also get after a while the same message that the device cannot "currently" be charged.

Is there a way to charge the RV 770 LMT-S with a wall charger or through a computer, or can this indeed only be done in a car?

Comments

• PS: What a joke that Garmin - a company that became famous with automobile navigation devices - does not offer a sub-forum for such devices on their own forum.
  • Boyd 1960 Points
    edited February 8
    Not sure why it doesn't charge on your computer. Is it plugged into a USB hub perhaps? The problem may be that your computer USB port just doesn't provide enough current to charge the battery.

The message about the chargers seems self-explanatory. Recent Garmin devices are rather particular about power supplies. You may find another one that works. Or you could just buy a "real" Garmin wall charger. I have an old one and it charges my Dezl 760, Nuvi 3550 and Montana 600.

This is what they recommend for your RV 770, it has a computer and wall charging cable/adapter: https://buy.garmin.com/en-US/US/p/pn/010-11478-02

• Thanks for the information. I was using the original Garmin cable that came with the device on a powered (and expensive) hub. Now I connected it directly to a computer - and charging works.

Apparently it was also charging before. When I switched the device on for the first time it warned me about the low battery and showed only a red battery symbol, now - connected directly to the computer - it shows that the battery is almost fully charged. This hopefully means that I can ignore the "not charging" warning in the future.