This site uses cookies to offer you a better browsing experience. Find out more about how to manage cookies, or dismiss this message and continue to use cookies.

Remove Active Log files on Drive-Smart 50

Does anyone know how I can remove the "Active Log" files from a Drive-Smart 50.

I've tried all the usual including:

1. settings/map&vehicle/map-layers/trip-log (Unchecked).

2. settings/device/travel-history (unchecked) and Clear Travel History.

I can see the files labelled "Active Log" in Garmin Base Camp on the device but can't delete them from there.

Any advice much appreciated.

Comments

• alanb 427 Points
    The "Clear Travel History" is the correct procedure for the current active log. The unit will immediately start creating a new log however, and that new log will show up in BaseCamp. If you have archived trip log files, the only way to get rid of them is to plug into your computer and use mass storage or MTP mode to manually delete the GPX files.
  • Boyd 1955 Points
    edited February 22
    For some reason, Garmin allows you to delete data from their handheld devices in Basecamp but not from their automotive devices. So it sounds like you are doing the right thing by unchecking and clearing travel history; that should stop the recording of new data. As Alan says though, you will have to manually delete the .gpx files from the device by connecting it to your computer.

Also realize that the actual data that the device uses is stored in protected memory that you cannot access. the .gpx files are just copies of that data. So even if you delete the .gpx files, the real data will still be stored in that protected location until you use the clear travel history menu on the device. Every time the device starts up, it dumps the data in that protected location to a .gpx file, so it will just keep coming back if you don't clear it.

But note that some features of your device will no longer work if you turn off travel history recording.
  • Thanks. That works.