This site uses cookies to offer you a better browsing experience. Find out more about how to manage cookies, or dismiss this message and continue to use cookies.

Nuvi 52LM - Settings - Options - 'Do Not Automatically Turn On'

Hi Gang: I have an older Nuvi 52LM. I leave it plugged into my 'Lighter Input' Everytime I start the engine it turns on Automatically. Then its a real pain to turn it off. Those older controls do not respond quickly. Is there an option to set it up where it won't Automatically 'Turn On' everytime it receives power? Thank you friends ...

Comments

• sussamb 764 Points
    Option is to remove the cable from your power socket ...
  • ENIGMACODE 10 Points
    Yes thank you I knew that but I thought perhaps there was another option?
  • sussamb 764 Points
    No, afraid not.
  • Boyd 1953 Points
    edited March 22
    No Nuvi has ever had that feature. Haven't used a Nuvi 52, so I don't understand why it's "a real pain to turn it off". This can normally be done with a simple tap of the power button. That will put it to sleep instead of fully shutting down, but that should still accomplish what you want.
  • alanb 419 Points
    Since you leave it mounted and plugged in, why not just leave it on while driving? Doesn't it shut off by itself when you turn the ignition switch off?
  • sussamb 764 Points
    Depends. Some power sockets remain on even with ignition off.
  • Boyd 1953 Points
    edited March 22
    Seems clear that is not the case here, since he states "Everytime I start the engine it turns on automatically". That implies the power is off until the engine starts. :)

Alan, I agree but then I like to see the moving map when I'm just driving around. Some people might not like that. But it is pretty simple to just remove the plug about halfway from the socket if you want it to stay off.
  • ENIGMACODE 10 Points
    edited March 22
    Thanx Guys - Sure I can 'unplug' it since I don't need it all the time but it would be nice to turn it off from an external power switch. The power button ontop of the 52LM itself takes forever to power 'on & off'. I've seen certain brand ciggarette lighter power supplies that have an 'On/Off switch'. However I can't seem to find anything like that on the Garmin site.
  • Boyd 1953 Points
    edited March 22
    Are you sure about that power button behavior? It is slow to do a full shutdown, but should be instant to go into sleep mode. You just press it quickly for that. Or, at least that is the case with all the newer Nuvi series I've seen and 52 is not very old.
  • sussamb 764 Points
    Boyd said:

Seems clear that is not the case here, since he states "Everytime I start the engine it turns on automatically". That implies the power is off until the engine starts. :)

Ah true, missed that bit ..

• Boyd 1953 Points
    edited March 22
    Just to clarify what I posted above.... if you do a full shutdown of the Nuvi, when the car is started and the power comes on it will go through the whole boot process which can take a little while. But if you then shut it down with a quick press of the power button, the next time that power is applied the device should start immediately and display the warning screen. Quickly pressing the power button should instantly turn it off.
  • menhir 61 Points
    Well, I'll put my two cents in with the OP. It would be nice to have an "off" switch option that really means "Off, darn you, until I want to turn you on again!."

I sometimes want to charge my Nuvi 550 while I'm exploring on the motorcycle...lots of turning the motorcycle off and on at scenic overlooks 'n such...in case I decided to take it off the bike and put it in my backpack when I find a nice trail...which was one of it's intended uses. But it just keeps powering up every time I turn on the bike instead of charging itself like I want it too.

It really became exasperating when the power jack on the device came loose. Every single time the bike hit a bump the device would boot up again. Every...Single...Time. >:P

Both unusual situations I know...

Probably ain't never gonna happen, though.
  • ENIGMACODE 10 Points
    edited March 23
    I'm continuing to shop for a Garmin Power Cig. Lighter Supply that has a 'built-n switch' - 'On/Off' Switch built right into the plug. Limme know if u guys see one out there? Thanx You - Mike :)
  • menhir 61 Points
    Go to Amazon and search for "12 volt lighter adapter with switch" and you'll find some options that may work for you. At least it's a start.