This site uses cookies to offer you a better browsing experience. Find out more about how to manage cookies, or dismiss this message and continue to use cookies.

Blast from the past?

Have you been waiting to buy a BRAND NEW Garmin nuvi 780, complete with a MSN Direct traffic receiver and 2 GB SD card? Well here you go: HTTPS: //smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B001CWP4M4/ref=pe_2313360_280211380_em_1p_0_lm. Only $304.99! :))

I couldn't believe that Amazon actually sent this out today as an email promotion.

Comments

• Boyd 1953 Points
    edited April 14
    Link doesn't work for me. Do you have to sign up for Amazon smile maybe? This looks like it though

www.amazon.com/Garmin-Navigation-Widescreen-0100065705-BigVALUEInc/dp/B001CWP4M4/ref=sr_1_7?m=A9VBWN1Q1U6E6&s=merchant-items&ie=UTF8&qid=1523736289&sr=1-7&refinements=p_4%3AGarmin

But hey, as one of the reviewers wrote "exelent value for money"... in September 2011! :)) IMO, that would have even been questionable back then. Maybe this would have some collectible value if you kept it sealed in the package for another 20 years?
  • alanb 419 Points
    edited April 14
    Make sure on the link that you take the space out after https: and remove the period at the end of the sentence. (I put the space after https: to disable the link). You can also see the listing on regular amazon if you search for Garmin nuvi 780 ... it is 2 or 3 listings down.

I know these Amazon listings for older devices aren't all that uncommon. I was just surprised they sent it out as an email ad and that the seller still has 17 of them in stock.

It is funny that they still show the original Garmin promo info including the MSN Direct traffic receiver with 3 free months of traffic service
  • Boyd 1953 Points
    edited April 14
    Actually, I think this would be the "GPSReview approved" way to post your link. Just remove the https:// , your browser will figure that out all by itself. :)

smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B001CWP4M4/ref=pe_2313360_280211380_em_1p_0_lm
  • alanb 419 Points
    If someone bought one of these it would be interesting to see if the 11 year old battery would charge up and hold a charge and also if Garmin will still honor the NuMaps update gaurantee (remember that?)
  • Boyd 1953 Points
    Did "NuMaps" give you a one-time download of the current map? We're really going back in time here... the 7x0 series was introduced in August 2007! I know that lifetime maps didn't come along until later.

• alanb 419 Points
    edited April 14
    Yes, NuMaps said you could update to current map if the map came out within 90 days of purchase. I think back then Garmin had annual map updates. I would assume these came with 2007 or 2008 maps. I know my 755 had 2008 when I bought it.
  • Boyd 1953 Points
    edited April 14
    One of the devices from that era - I think it was the 7x5 but it might have been the 8x5 - might still be worth something. It had the same kind of Bluetooth as the Zumo series so it supported a microphone.

The 7x0 series was a nice upgrade from the 6x0 though, it was the first Nuvi that supported custom routes, it was the first with a tracklog and (IIRC) it was also the first with a QWERTY keyboard layout. I think it was also the first to do away with the flip out antenna. I had a 650 was definitely jealous when the 7x0 series was introduced!

Ain't worth much today though. ;)
  • t923347 414 Points
    alanb said:

Have you been waiting to buy a BRAND NEW Garmin nuvi 780, complete with a MSN Direct traffic receiver and 2 GB SD card? Well here you go: HTTPS: //smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B001CWP4M4/ref=pe_2313360_280211380_em_1p_0_lm. Only $304.99! :))
    I couldn't believe that Amazon actually sent this out today as an email promotion.

But at $304.99 it's a hell of a deal since Garmin shows it on their website for $599.99:

https://buy.garmin.com/en-US/US/p/13479

:))
  • alanb 419 Points
    edited April 15
    :)) @ Rick! And a "free" SD card on top of that great deal!

Agreed. The 7x0 was quite advanced in its day. There were a few other interesting features ... like the stereo jack, FM transmitter, Language Guide, Calculator, World Clock and shaping points. Garmin took all of those away eventually, but brought back shaping points with Trip Planner.

I am thinking there were a couple of recalls on this device too ... one because of a potentially dangerous battery failure, another because of an unrecoverable software lockup that required battery removal to unlock it, then a software update (maybe that was only on the 7x5 ... don't remember for sure). I suppose these unopened devices could still be subject to those failures.
  • Boyd 1953 Points
    I think the recall was for the 7x5. My recollection is that the 7x0 series was very stable. Isn't the 7x5 the odd one that had 3d buildings and the 3d map browser (that didn't come into its own until much later with the 3790).

But this is kind of sad. A thread about overpriced 10 year old devices has generated more interest than any discussion of the current models.
  • crazyfingers 106 Points
    I was looking in a box in the closet the other day for some auto power chordes and I found my old iQue 3600. Temped to charge it and see if it still works.