This site uses cookies to offer you a better browsing experience. Find out more about how to manage cookies, or dismiss this message and continue to use cookies.

New Garmin User

Hi, I am a new user to Garmin after many years using various Tomtom devices.

I left Tomtom due various bad experiences and thought I would try a Garmin device (which I might start to regret). I live near the mersey gateway and use this crossing for driving to Manchester and use the sat nav to help with Traffic but unfortunately I am having problems with the Garmin device ( I was also having issues with the Tomtom over this crossing). Even though the Mersey Gateway opened in October 2017 after many years of planning (plenty of time for sat nav manufacturers to update their maps) the map on the Garmin is still not correct, the crossing is showing in the maps but the roads around the crossing are either missing or incorrect as are the speed limits so the sat nav will not use the mersey gateway. Does anyone else use a Garmin over the Mersey Gateway?

Comments

• sussamb 780 Points
    Garmin maps are updated up to 4 times a year. As the crossing only opened late last year it probably wouldn't be on the current map, which if I recall correctly was issued in December. A new update should be out shortly which should include the crossing
  • Boyd 1955 Points
    Garmin gets their maps from HERE, so you could look on their website and see if the roads are correct. if they are, it could take a number of months before they are actually available on Garmin's map.

https://wego.here.com/?_ga=2.83714646.1968785623.1524583595-998455951.1524583595&map=53.54364,-1.04199,6,normal
  • sussamb 780 Points
    edited April 24
    Yes it's showing on there, I checked earlier. It should therefore be on the next map, which should be out shortly.
  • ymcd 5 Points
    I just bought a nuvi2559; the USB charger provided doesn’t work. I kept getting a message ‘the attached cable does not charge this device please use the one that came with the device’ - It is in fact the cable that came in the box.
    The store is bringing in another to exchange mine but rather disappointing product. Has anyone had this problem?
  • sussamb 780 Points
    You really should have started a new thread, but to answer your question no.
  • Boyd 1955 Points
    edited April 25
    I agree, this really should be a separate topic. But anyway...

What do you mean by the "USB charger"? Are you talking about the cigarette lighter plug and cable that you use in the car, or the USB cable that connects the Nuvi to your computer?

If it's the computer cable then yes, I get the same error message a minute or so after I connect my new DriveSmart 61 to my computer with the supplied Garmin cable. BUT this message only appears if I don't tap the button to enter file transfer mode when I first connect it to my computer.

We have discussed this before, and I think that message is completely bogus. I think it actually will charge (although slowly) if you leave it connected to the computer.

But something may actually be going on with the car charger too. I read a bunch of user reviews at Best Buy and Amazon before buying the DriveSmart, and many people mentioned the same problem. Have never seen it myself though.
  • alanb 429 Points
    The nuvi 2559 is a 2014 model. Did you buy it used? If so, it may not have the original power adapter.