This site uses cookies to offer you a better browsing experience. Find out more about how to manage cookies, or dismiss this message and continue to use cookies.

#1 Garmin DriveAssist™ 51 LMT-D query

Hi

I was just wondering on the above sat nav, for the traffic information to work does it need to be connected to a phone or is the information picked up by the sat nav itself? Thks

Comments

• sussamb 780 Points
    You need connection to a phone on the 51 models if you're in UK as I believe you are.
  • jak68 0 Points
    I bought this not realising I needed a phone fir the traffic and I don't always have a phone so this model is no good for me :((. I will have to try and send it back....
  • alanb 425 Points
    According to Garmin's web site, it comes both ways in the UK: buy.garmin.com/en-GB/GB/p/551966/pn/010-01682-13#

Part # 010-01682-13 includes a HD Traffic receiver, Part # 010-01682-12 has only Live traffic (smartphone). If you have the Live traffic only model, I would assume you can add a traffic receiver like the GTM-36.
  • sussamb 780 Points
    Now that's interesting. I hadn't checked before my reply as initially the issue for me with the 51/61 series was the fact it needed a smart phone link for traffic. Seems like they've now added a version that gets traffic via the power cable and in built receiver as per the previous 50/60 models.
  • alanb 425 Points
    edited May 1
    North America models still have only Live traffic, but you can add the GTM-60 receiver for HD traffic or the GTM-36 for standard Garmin Traffic.

That said, unless the WiFi feature is important to you, I think it would be a better choice to go with a refurbished DriveAssist 50 for less than half the price of a new 51 and it already includes the Traffic receiver .
  • sussamb 780 Points
    Couldn't agree more, can't really see the point of getting a 51 over the 50.
  • jak68 0 Points
    I wanted a sat nav with a dash cam and this model seemed to be the only one, are there other models? Also what is the difference between HD traffic and Live traffic?
  • sussamb 780 Points
    UK traffic is discussed at www.garmin.com/en-GB/traffic/
  • Zemartelo 102 Points
    There is a significant difference imo between the 50 and the 51 besides the WIFI feature.
    The 51 also records ambient sound while the 50 only records video for the dashcam side.
    I have the 50 and want to replace it with the 51 to also have the sound recorded. It doesnt seem like much but watching youtube videos of dashcams the sounds can make a big difference in the outcome of a situation.
    The problem is a refurb 50 can be had for less than $200Cad while a 51 I can only get new for $399.