This site uses cookies to offer you a better browsing experience. Find out more about how to manage cookies, or dismiss this message and continue to use cookies.

Nuvi 58LMT update failure

One thing I've always been scared of...network interruption during the stupidly long map updates.
And it's happened. And now my device is dead, no response at all from it.
Can anyone suggest what's the next step to getting it back to life?

Comments

• alanb 427 Points
    Try pressing and holding the on/off button for 30 seconds or more.
  • GarFin 11 Points
    Update. I got it started, tried to make it update the map, and it just repeatedly states map update failed. Then the USB kicks the device off and restarts it. Nuts.
  • sussamb 780 Points
    Is the battery charged? Sounds like that could be the issue. Ensure it's fully charged then try again, before you do ensure Express is up to date.
  • GarFin 11 Points
    Right, express is up to date, battery is charged. Maps are in and update says it can't continue, but that's cos the USB kicks the Garmin off.
    When I reboot the Garmin says can't unlock the maps cos they are corrupt or not there, but when I start it anyway it allows me to plot a route to France.
    I put it back in and it says map updates available, but then it can't install them and we go round in circles.
    I just don't get it.
  • sussamb 780 Points
    edited May 21
    It's possible you have both a corrupt and good map on the device, which is why you can plot a route but also get a corrupt file message. You may also have a faulty USB port if it keeps disconnecting your device, ora faulty cable or port on your device. Solving an issue like this via a forum can be tricky :)

Before anything else try plugging your device into the usb port without running Express etc. Are there still issues with it being disconnected? Can you use Windows Explorer to open the device and view the files on it?
  • GarFin 11 Points
    yeah if I plug it in and do nothing it sits there...doing nothing. I can view 2 areas on the device in explorer, one is a system area the other the main device area.
    There's a folder called Maps but it has only got a few files in and nothing very large.
    Now the update map that it says it wants to send is over 5 gig in size, but there's only about 4 gig in usage at the moment of the 7 gig storage on the device.
    So I can't see the map on there but I can use it, and if I add a Micro SD card to the slot the device doesn't seem to even know it's there.
  • Boyd 1955 Points
    edited May 21
    There is a directory called "Map" (not "Maps") that would normally only contain additional mapping that you have installed yourself (such as a topo map). Otherwise, it should be empty or not there at all. Are you perhaps looking at the contents of a SD card instead of the device's internal memory?

The pre-installed maps are stored in an invisible folder in internal memory that you won't see unless you take special steps. This post explains how to set your device for Mass Storage Mode and view the contents of the hidden .System folder. http://forums.gpsreview.net/discussion/comment/165763/#Comment_165763
  • Zemartelo 102 Points
    Has a factory reset been done on the Gps?
  • Zemartelo 102 Points
    I would then use webupater to reinstall the latest firmware to the gps.

After that try to update the map again.
  • alanb 427 Points
    edited May 22
    Boyd said:

There is a directory called "Map" (not "Maps") that would normally only contain additional mapping that you have installed yourself (such as a topo map). Otherwise, it should be empty or not there at all. Are you perhaps looking at the contents of a SD card instead of the device's internal memory?

The pre-installed maps are stored in an invisible folder in internal memory that you won't see unless you take special steps. This post explains how to set your device for Mass Storage Mode and view the contents of the hidden .System folder. http://forums.gpsreview.net/discussion/comment/165763/#Comment_165763

On my son's Driveluxe 50, I noticed that Garmin Express installed an additional map file named D4919130A.IMG in folder \.system\Map. This file was installed with the 2019.11 CN NA map update. Its size is 120 MB. I am not sure what this file is, but my guess is that it has something to do with either FourSquare or the enhanced driver alerts (like "curve ahead"). My nuvi 3597 does not have this file, so I wouldn't think that a nuvi 58 would either.
  • sussamb 780 Points
    @GarFin

Once you can see the .system folder perhaps you could post a screenshot showing the folders and files on your device so we can see what's there. Going forward the action will be to delete or remove map files so that you're left without any corrupted ones.

Note too your device won't indicate a card is installed, it'll just use it when necessary.
  • GarFin 11 Points
    Zemartelo said:

Has a factory reset been done on the Gps?

No. No idea how to do one.

• GarFin 11 Points
    Boyd said:

Mass storage mode makes no difference to the operation of the device?

• GarFin 11 Points
    sussamb said:

It's possible you have both a corrupt and good map on the device, which is why you can plot a route but also get a corrupt file message. You may also have a faulty USB port if it keeps disconnecting your device, ora faulty cable or port on your device. Solving an issue like this via a forum can be tricky :)

Before anything else try plugging your device into the usb port without running Express etc. Are there still issues with it being disconnected? Can you use Windows Explorer to open the device and view the files on it?

When first connected to USB but with GE not running, it ejects itself and then reconnects itself 3 times and then sits there without a problem
  • GarFin 11 Points
    Mass storage was already set, there was also option for mass storage sin.
    Map updater said I had latest software.
    Doesn't look like I can attach images to this but the System folder only has subfolders of Diag, GPS, SQlite and Trips. Nothing about maps.

• sussamb 780 Points
    It won't. The map file would normally be called gmapprom.img
  • sussamb 780 Points

When first connected to USB but with GE not running, it ejects itself and then reconnects itself 3 times and then sits there without a problem
    Sounds like a usb issue on your computer then. Once the connection is stable can you then run GE?