This site uses cookies to offer you a better browsing experience. Find out more about how to manage cookies, or dismiss this message and continue to use cookies.

Annoying pop-up window with DriveSmart 61

I can be driving along with the map screen on, and all of a sudden it will display a window with a blue background with 12 or more choices asking me what I want to do. I have to press the display map choice to get back to the map. This is distracting and dangerous to do while driving. It does this almost every time I am out driving. I have looked through settings and cannot find how to stop it. Any suggestions?

Comments

• sussamb 764 Points
    edited May 21
    Would help work this one out if you gave examples of the choices? I know of no screen that would do what you're describing?
  • Boyd 1953 Points
    I have a DriveSmart 61 and don't ever recall seeing this. Are you navigating a route when this happens, or just driving around? Are you using the Smartphone Link traffic service? A screenshot would help.
  • laflaone 82 Points
    Good questions. The next time it happens, I will take a photo with my phone and post.
  • alanb 419 Points
    edited May 22
    Is there a chance that background noise is triggering the voice recognition menu? You could try changing the activation phrase to something more complex.
  • truckinguy 115 Points
    I have the Drive Smart 61 S and have no issues.. I believe it's in the settings to shut alerts etc off.
  • Boyd 1953 Points
    alanb said:

Is there a chance that background noise is triggering the voice recognition menu?

I was thinking about this last night and wondered the same thing. Didn't occur to me before because I hate that feature and have it turned off. But I'll be that's what it is. See page 15 of the owners manual here: http://static.garmin.com/pumac/DriveSmart_51_61_OM_EN.pdf

• sussamb 764 Points
    Good spot. I have mine turned off too, never felt it added anything I needed :)
  • Boyd 1953 Points
    From the manual:

"NOTE: Voice Activated Navigation may not achieve desired performance when in a noisy environment."

Like a car maybe? :D
  • AndreyT 105 Points
    I actually find that Voice Command functionality quite useful, especially in the newer models, where voice recognition works much more reliably.

The menu structure is still poorly designed though. And one just needs to turn off those intermediate voice prompts, which (in combination with poorly designed menu) make the whole experience even slower.
  • laflaone 82 Points
    Thanks for all your comments. I deactivated the Voice Command function several days ago. So far, so good, I have not had the map disrupted by the page I originally posted about.