This site uses cookies to offer you a better browsing experience. Find out more about how to manage cookies, or dismiss this message and continue to use cookies.

Annoying pop-up window with DriveSmart 61

I can be driving along with the map screen on, and all of a sudden it will display a window with a blue background with 12 or more choices asking me what I want to do. I have to press the display map choice to get back to the map. This is distracting and dangerous to do while driving. It does this almost every time I am out driving. I have looked through settings and cannot find how to stop it. Any suggestions?

Comments

• sussamb 765 Points
    edited May 21
    Would help work this one out if you gave examples of the choices? I know of no screen that would do what you're describing?
  • Boyd 1954 Points
    I have a DriveSmart 61 and don't ever recall seeing this. Are you navigating a route when this happens, or just driving around? Are you using the Smartphone Link traffic service? A screenshot would help.
  • laflaone 82 Points
    Good questions. The next time it happens, I will take a photo with my phone and post.
  • alanb 424 Points
    edited May 22
    Is there a chance that background noise is triggering the voice recognition menu? You could try changing the activation phrase to something more complex.
  • truckinguy 115 Points
    I have the Drive Smart 61 S and have no issues.. I believe it's in the settings to shut alerts etc off.
  • Boyd 1954 Points
    alanb said:

Is there a chance that background noise is triggering the voice recognition menu?

I was thinking about this last night and wondered the same thing. Didn't occur to me before because I hate that feature and have it turned off. But I'll be that's what it is. See page 15 of the owners manual here: http://static.garmin.com/pumac/DriveSmart_51_61_OM_EN.pdf

• sussamb 765 Points
    Good spot. I have mine turned off too, never felt it added anything I needed :)
  • Boyd 1954 Points
    From the manual:

"NOTE: Voice Activated Navigation may not achieve desired performance when in a noisy environment."

Like a car maybe? :D
  • AndreyT 105 Points
    I actually find that Voice Command functionality quite useful, especially in the newer models, where voice recognition works much more reliably.

The menu structure is still poorly designed though. And one just needs to turn off those intermediate voice prompts, which (in combination with poorly designed menu) make the whole experience even slower.
  • laflaone 82 Points
    Thanks for all your comments. I deactivated the Voice Command function several days ago. So far, so good, I have not had the map disrupted by the page I originally posted about.
  • crazyfingers 106 Points
    Almost certainly the problem the OP is having is that voice command is being inadvertently triggered. The solution would be to change the default "Voice Command" statement to something less likely for the unit to confuse with a command to open voice command. I changed mine to "Hey Garmin!" it doen't trigger very often.

That reminds me of a funny story. Back when the kids were very small we would sometimes record our conversations to listen to later in life. I was playing one such recording in the car on a long ride. The recording was made in the car and had a section on the recording where I was giving voice commands to the Garmin. The recording playing through my car speakers triggered the Garmin that I was actually using at the time and the Garmin attempted to follow my instructions from the recording on the order of 5 years previous.
  • alanb 424 Points

...I changed mine to "Hey Garmin!" it doen't trigger very often.

HaHa! My wakeup phrase is "Hey nimraG!" on my nuvi that uses the female Samantha voice, and "Hey ivuN! on my nuvi that uses the male Jack voice. I guess I am just a backwards kind of guy :-)
  • Boyd 1954 Points
    edited July 25
    What “wakeup phrase” do we need for Garmin to realize that it’s time to create a serious navigation app? They recently abandoned the iOS StreetPilot app that I have been using for the past couple years. Since I already own it, I was able to install the app on my new iPad, but it’s useless because you can no longer download the map (it just hangs on the map download screen). At least I can continue using it on my iPhone, although I won’t get any further map updates.

I’m afraid nothing will wake Garmin up, they are living in a dream world where everyone still wants a dedicated GPS. And we are going on two years since they have even introduced a new one of those.

I got a DriveSmart 61 last winter, it’s arguably the nicest hardware they have introduced and the price is a lot lower than they used to charge for a premium model. But I would rather use their software on my own choice of hardware from the huge universe of Android and iOS phones and tablets.

TomTom seems to “get” this and has a very nice app that includes lifetime maps for the whole world and costs much less than I paid for the StreetPilot app. And it even syncs your data across all of your TomTom devices and apps.

Even Magellan seems to understand. They have a dedicated off-road device with a 7” screen, or you can just buy the app by itself and install it on your own phone or tablet.

Come on Garmin. Wake up! X(
  • alanb 424 Points
    edited July 26
    I think Garmin has pretty much abandoned the road navigation business, both dedicated devices and apps. They discontinued Viago, Street Pilot and Navigon apps. They have not introduced a new Drive model in over 18 months, and their premier model, the DriveLuxe 51LMTHD is now listed as a "previous model" with no available inventory virtually anywhere and no replacement model in sight.

What worries me is if they are no longer selling new apps or dedicated road navigation devices to generate revenue, how much longer will they continue to provide map updates? Providing lifetime map updates to old devices is a financial liability, so if there are no sales of new devices or apps, why would they continue to do it?
  • Boyd 1954 Points
    And then there’s the Basecamp/Mapinstall bug (or is it a feature?) that prevents you from installing third party maps on your gps ever since the last update. That is driving everyone crazy over at gpsfiledepot.
  • sussamb 765 Points
    Yep. I've stuck with 4.6.2. Anyone who uses BaseCamp should revert.
  • alanb 424 Points
    edited July 26
    Boyd said:

And then there’s the Basecamp/Mapinstall bug (or is it a feature?) that prevents you from installing third party maps on your gps ever since the last update. That is driving everyone crazy over at gpsfiledepot.

Sigh! It appears Garmin has mostly abandoned the handheld market too. Too bad as I still value these devices, but it is obvious that sales volume is no longer there because of smart phone apps. I can accept that, but I just wish Garmin would bring the user interface on their devices to a good app. I would be willing to pay a reasonable price or even an annual subscription fee for a good app that included the functions and features of their dedicated devices.

• Boyd 1954 Points
    edited July 26
    Was just looking at Garmin's app page: https://buy.garmin.com/en-US/US/cOnTheGo-cApps-p1.html

They still show the StreetPilot app. Click on it, iTunes opens and tells you it is no longer available. They also show the Garmin Mechanic app and ecoRouteHD. AFAIK, this was discontinued long ago. A Google search didn't find any vendors for new ones.

So Garmin can't even be bothered to update their website, let alone their devices and software. >:P

I'm just like you Alan, and have posted this many times here and elsewhere. I'd pay a premium price for a *real* Garmin app that had all the features of their dedicated devices.
  • Boyd 1954 Points
    Boyd said:

So Garmin can't even be bothered to update their website, let alone their devices and software. >:P

More evidence of this. See the bottom right side of the page for the GLO bluetooth GPS receiver, they are still advertising the discontinued StreetPilot app. :O)

"Turn your smartphone or tablet into a premium GPS navigator with Garmin StreetPilot® "

https://buy.garmin.com/en-US/US/p/109827