This site uses cookies to offer you a better browsing experience. Find out more about how to manage cookies, or dismiss this message and continue to use cookies.

Can you delete annoying alerts?

I have the Garmin DriveSmart LMT-S and, if possible, I'd like to delete the annoying speed, animal crossing, curve, etc alerts. I have the audio turned off but I don't want the visual alert either. There must be a file for this information but I can't find it. Any help with this is appreciated.

Comments

• sussamb 765 Points
    I don't believe you can. Personally I don't find them annoying but helpful, although like you I have the audio turned off for most of them.
  • Boyd 1954 Points
    I have a DriveSmart 61 and don't think there's any way to make the alerts go away. I believe the data comes from the map itself and the firmware is what makes them happen. So there is no "file" that you can delete.

I agree they are annoying - especially at night because they use the same bright orange color as daytime which is very distracting. This is just another dumb feature that Garmin thinks users want for some reason. If you read reviews of these devices at Best Buy or Amazon you will see lots of people complaining about them.

It's a shame too, because otherwise the DriveSmart 61 is a very nice unit.
  • t923347 414 Points
    On my DriveLuxe 50 I can turn off all these alerts under Settings - Map & Vehicle - Audible Driver Alerts and then tap each type of alert to clear the checkmark and disable it.
  • sussamb 765 Points
    edited May 24
    That just disables the audio though, you still get the orange banner, which is what the OP wants to remove.
  • t923347 414 Points
    At one time I had all the alerts turned on and it drove me nuts but now I've cut the number of alerts down to just a couple and I just see the banner every so often.
  • sussamb 765 Points
    Yep, I've done the same.
  • Boyd 1954 Points
    edited May 24
    I have disabled everything in the alerts settings and they still pop up constantly for all the categories I disabled. So I assumed those settings were only for the audible alerts - but my whole device is always muted, so I don't really know. But it certainly doesn't disable the orange banners warning of impending disaster as you approach a railroad track. In my rural area, I'd say at least 50% of those railroad alerts are for tracks that have been out of service for many years.

Anyway, I also get alerts for animal crossings, school zones, curves, speed limit changes and probably a few other things.

I suspect that the various DriveSmart devices behave differently. IIRC, the DriveLuxe 61 is the newest device so it may be different from a DriveLuxe 50 which is from both a different year and series. Of course, the OP did not tell us exactly which model he has, so that makes it a bit more difficult to help.
  • sussamb 765 Points
    edited May 24
    Well I think whatever you do you still get the banners, it would be good if you could switch off the visual as well as the audible alerts. I get all the alerts you do, and from what I've seen the latest models are all the same. Mine are Speed limit reduction, speed limit exceeded, animal crossings, railroad crossings, schools, bends (curves), and slower traffic.
  • Boyd 1954 Points
    sussamb said:

Well I think whatever you do you still get the banners, it would be good if you could switch off the visual as well as the audible alerts.

I agree, but this would appear to be at odds with what @t923347 said, "now I've cut the number of alerts down to just a couple and I just see the banner every so often."

I can't go more than a couple miles without seeing alerts. They aren't such a big deal during the day, but it really startled me the first tiime one popped up in the dark car at night. If they are going to have a feature like this, they should be in a darker color in night mode.
  • AndreyT 105 Points
    edited May 25
    t923347 said:

On my DriveLuxe 50 I can turn off all these alerts under Settings - Map & Vehicle - Audible Driver Alerts and then tap each type of alert to clear the checkmark and disable it.

It is not entirely so though. Despite a dedicated entry for "Schools" being present in that list, it is not possible to turn off audible alerts for school zones. They remain audible. The only way to suppress these audible alerts is to mute the whole unit entirely.
  • sussamb 765 Points
    Really? You can on my DriveSmart50.
  • mike41 18 Points
    The curve ahead is on most of the time in WVA and Southwestern PA. The bad part is this feature blocks out what road to turn.onto. This might be a good feature in Kanasa where it does not have hills and curves.