This site uses cookies to offer you a better browsing experience. Find out more about how to manage cookies, or dismiss this message and continue to use cookies.

Apple CarPlay to support 3rd party navigation in iOS 12

Boyd 1955 Points
edited June 4 in GPS Discussions
Just saw this news for Apple's developer conference that is now in session. Will be interesting to see exactly what this means. Carplay was a standard feature in my VW, I tried it once and haven't used it since. I am not much of a fan of Apple Maps and also don't like the fact that Siri must be enabled (I have it completely off on my phone). But I might give it another try, depending on which apps are supported.

Not much info in this story yet, but updates are supposed to be coming: www.macrumors.com/2018/06/04/apple-says-third-party-nav-apps-coming-to-carplay/

Comments

• alanb 427 Points
    Engadget is predicting Google and Waze ... same apps supported by Android auto: www.engadget.com/2018/06/04/apple-carplay-google-maps-waze-support-ios-12/

Garmin really needs to get into this market segment if it wants to remain relevant in road navigation.
  • mike41 18 Points
    I also have car play in my SUV. I am not a fan of Apple maps. I use a Garmin GPS. It seems Garmin has no interest in PND devices. The latest update to the Smart Link phone app has been very buggy. a call to support did not accomplish anything. It seems all Garmin interest is now in the fitness area. They do a good job with these products. I guess I will start using the Apple maps.
  • Boyd 1955 Points
    edited June 6
    I think StreetPilot Onboard is pretty good on iOS, it looks just like a Nuvi but has been intentionally cripped by Garmin so you can't import/export anything. I really doubt they will embrace CarPlay. There used to be StreetPilot feature that allowed it to work with certain specific 3rd party automotive head units. It was an in-app purchase that was quite expensive (like $60 maybe)?

I was just looking at StreetPilot on my iPhone and notice they seem to have pulled all the in-app purchases. They used to offer traffic, urban guidance and 3d terrain. I already have the first two but never bought the 3d terrain. And now I see it is no longer offered. Perhaps the sun is about to set on the StreetPilot Onboard app? They discontinued the other version (StreetPilot onDemand) about a year ago IIRC.

Uh-oh, looks like they already have discontinued the StreetPilot onBoard app. Will start a new thread for that in the Garmin forum.