This site uses cookies to offer you a better browsing experience. Find out more about how to manage cookies, or dismiss this message and continue to use cookies.

Garmin StreetPilot Onboard discontinued

Here is a list of the different versions of StreetPilot from Garmin's own site: https://buy.garmin.com/en-US/US/p/98479

If I click on any of these (North America, Western Europe, etc), iTunes opens and displays the following alert:

The item you've requested is not currently available in the U.S. store.

So why does Garmin still have them listed on their website? I found this with Google - somehow I must have missed it last year: https://www.garmin.com.my/news/pressroom/news-2017-street-pilot/

“Garmin Street Pilot” navigation app will be discontinued by July 31st, 2017. The latest version of “Garmin Street Pilot” is compatible with iOS 10, and the latest map is 2016Q2.

By discontinuation of the app, Garmin will not offer following software and map updates; at the same time, current users can still use the app with iOS 10.

I am still running iOS 10 and the app works fine. Guess it's good that I didn't upgrade to iOS 11 since this implies that it won't work. But my version of City Navigator is 2017.30 and not 2016.20.

Oh well, that was fun while it lasted.

Comments

• alanb 427 Points
    Sad to hear that StreetPilot app has the same fate as Viago. It does seem like Garmin is gradually abandoning the road navigation market. They haven't released a new Drive model for almost a year and a half.
  • Boyd 1955 Points
    This is a bit confusing. Actually I think that iTunes can no longer be used to manage iOS apps, so that may be why the links don't work. If I search for Garmin using the app store on my phone it doesn't find streetpilot either. However I see there is a StreetPilot update for GDPR complaince dated 5/3/2018. And now that I think about it, I recall there was an earlier update that I didn't do which was for iOS 11 compatibility.

Have been thinking about getting an iPad, I wonder if I'll be able to load streetpilot on it? Normally you can install apps on every device you own, but not sure if that can be done if they're discontinued.
  • Boyd 1955 Points
    alanb said:

It does seem like Garmin is gradually abandoning the road navigation market. They haven't released a new Drive model for almost a year and a half.

So true, this is the first year I recall where they didn't have automotive devices at CES. I got a DriveSmart 61 a few months ago and it's actually very nice. But you have to wonder what is next for them.