This site uses cookies to offer you a better browsing experience. Find out more about how to manage cookies, or dismiss this message and continue to use cookies.

Left lane exits

I have a nuvi 2595LMT. Maps were updated a couple months ago. It regularly indicates left-lane exits which are actually right-lane. Carpool exits are often left-lane, so I figured maybe the default assumption is carpool. Went into Navigation > Avoidances and checked off Carpool, but this had no effect.

Any ideas? Thanks!

Comments

• sussamb 786 Points
    Try a master reset. That normally cures strange issues.
  • weamish 81 Points
    Thanks, might try that. But there's another 2595 in the household doing the same thing, so I suspect a reset won't help. The problem seems to have surfaced after a recent move from Seattle to the San Francisco bay area. Wonder if there's something about the highway layout that screws up the maps...
  • Boyd 1960 Points
    edited June 11
    There may just be an error in the new map that you installed a couple months ago. In fact, there was a map update that Garmin removed from their site recently due to problems. Another possibility is a bug in the device firmware, if it was also updated at the same time. You could try updating again and see if a new version of map/firmware are now available.

Why do you think that moving from one city to another would "screw up the maps"? Sorry, I don't understand what you mean by that.
  • weamish 81 Points
    Boyd said:

Why do you think that moving from one city to another would "screw up the maps"?

Sorry, that wasn't expressed very well - was just wondering if there might be something about the carpool lane exits on SF area highways that causes problems for the mapping software (since I haven't run into this issue in other cities)

• Boyd 1960 Points
    edited June 12
    Exit lanes cannot "cause problems". The GPS just places your vehicle on the map based on your location. If the map is just wrong (if it shows the exit on the left) then that is where it will tell you to go. Have you zoomed way in on the map in one of these problem spots to see what it looks like?
  • AndreyT 105 Points
    weamish said:

I have a nuvi 2595LMT. Maps were updated a couple months ago. It regularly indicates left-lane exits which are actually right-lane. Carpool exits are often left-lane, so I figured maybe the default assumption is carpool. Went into Navigation > Avoidances and checked off Carpool, but this had no effect.

It is not clear what you are talking about. Does it indicate left-lane exit where there's no left-lane exit? Or does it prefer left-lane exits over right-lane exists?

The latter issue does exist on my DriveLuxe 50 in SFBA. When driving southbound on 101 and transferring to 85, it always insists on routing me through the separate carpool ramp (left-lane exit). It does this even if I ask it to avoid carpools.

• Boyd 1960 Points
    All of my Garmin devices (and the StreetPilot app) direct me to the EZPass lanes on highways around NYC. The junction view that pops up even shows the "EZPass only" sign above the the lane. I have EZPass, but it could be a problem for somebody who doesn't. ;)
  • weamish 81 Points
    AndreyT said:

It is not clear what you are talking about. Does it indicate left-lane exit where there's no left-lane exit? Or does it prefer left-lane exits over right-lane exists?

It indicates left-lane exits that are reserved for carpools, when the non-carpool exit is from the right lane. It continues to do this after checking the box for Carpool in the list of avoidances.
  • weamish 81 Points
    Updated maps and firmware, no change in this behavior. On a 6-lane highway with lots of traffic, sure would be nice to be able to depend on the exit location...
  • t923347 424 Points
    Are there more of these left lane carpool exit lanes in your area? If so, does your Nuvi direct you to use those exits as well or is it confined to just the one exit you posted about?

If it happens in other locations, like AndreyT indicates, then it sounds like an issue with the map software in the SF area.

It is best to report these type of issues to Here, the map creators, through their website instead of waiting for someone else to do it.