This site uses cookies to offer you a better browsing experience. Find out more about how to manage cookies, or dismiss this message and continue to use cookies.

North America NT 2019.20

North America NT 2019.20 map update is available.

Comments

• Buck115 36 Points
    Thanks for posting about its availability. I checked and sure enough Garmin Express showed it as an update. I just updated my 3597 LMTHD; took about 35 minutes to download and update both my device and PC.
  • menhir 62 Points
    Thanks for the heads-up. I have a few long motorcycle trips coming up in a few weeks.
    It's nice knowing I'll be setting off with the latest info.
  • iamdrumming 15 Points
    Great timing! I'm going on a fairly big road trip starting Sunday morning. I checked a newer road by me, and they finally added it in this release.
  • Boyd 1953 Points
    edited June 21
    Be careful.... I've learned the hard way that it's a bad idea to update your GPS just before a big trip. There could be buggy new firmware along with the map, and earlier this year they had to withdraw a map update because of problems. A road trip a few weeks from now is fine, but no way that I'd do it for a road trip on Sunday.

"If it ain't broke, don't fix it" is my motto. :)
  • menhir 62 Points
    I'm definitely with you on that.

The trip doesn't start until the middle of next month. If there are gremlins in the code, hopefully they'll be fixed before then.
  • werewolf 107 Points
    My computer is broken. All I have right now are Android tablets. I suppose there's no way to update my old 276c with Android...
  • Boyd 1953 Points
    You want to use Lifetime Maps without a computer? Don't know how you could do that.

https://www.garmin.com/en-US/legal/map-download

Minimum Requirements
    The download process requires you to install Garmin Express on your computer so we can communicate with your device. Note: The download is installed directly to your device or microSD/SD card and is not accessible on the computer.

Windows®
    IBM-compatible computer running Windows 7 SP1 or newer
    1 GB RAM
    1024 x 768 display
    USB port
    Microsoft® .NET framework 4.5; a current version of .NET will be installed if needed
    A video card that supports OpenGL version 1.3 or later to view 3-D terrain
    High speed Internet access

Mac®
    Intel-based Mac running OS 10.10 or newer
    1 GB RAM
    1440 x 900 display
    USB port
    High speed Internet access
  • werewolf 107 Points
    Yeah, I didn't think so. Well, I'll be getting a new computer, if I can ever figure out which one to get.
  • alanb 420 Points
    Werewolf has told us in the past that Express refuses to install to a 276C, so he has to use MapUpdater. Still, no way to do it without a computer tho.
  • werewolf 107 Points
    That's true, AlanB, and for the past 10 or 15 years the Garmin techs and senior techs and boss techs have been assuring me that since my GPS is so old I can't update the maps anymore and need to buy a new one, and I've been updating it anyway with MapUpdater! :)
  • Boyd 1953 Points
    Garmin has also said that you will lose your lifetime maps if you fail to update them for two years. I waited something like 4 years between updating my Nuvi 3550 and Dezl 760 and had no problems (using Express).
  • iamdrumming 15 Points
    Just got back from my road trip the other day. Travelled just over 3500 kms. The new maps performed flawlessy, in towns I've never been.
  • crazyfingers 106 Points
    Boyd said:

Be careful.... I've learned the hard way that it's a bad idea to update your GPS just before a big trip. There could be buggy new firmware along with the map, and earlier this year they had to withdraw a map update because of problems. A road trip a few weeks from now is fine, but no way that I'd do it for a road trip on Sunday.

"If it ain't broke, don't fix it" is my motto. :)

Totally agreed. An update bricked one of my older units. I only do updates when I have time to fix or replace a botched install.
  • alanb 420 Points
    edited July 14
    Boyd said:

Garmin has also said that you will lose your lifetime maps if you fail to update them for two years. I waited something like 4 years between updating my Nuvi 3550 and Dezl 760 and had no problems (using Express).

In the various forums I follow, I have never heard of anyone who was refused an update because of this language. I suspect Garmin does not actively enforce the rule, but includes the language in their user agreement to protect themselves in future actions they might take.

I also would guess it is a rather small percentage of total Garmin device owners that actually update their maps, especially as the units age.

• Boyd 1953 Points
    I'm sure that one or more people here have complained about being denied updates after two years. But it's possible something else was the problem.