This site uses cookies to offer you a better browsing experience. Find out more about how to manage cookies, or dismiss this message and continue to use cookies.

Finding Locations by Coordinates

This is frustrating because I used to know how to do this but I am drawing a blank. Maybe something has changed.
The manual is not helpful.

I would like to enter coordinates shown in Google Maps directly to my Zumo660.

I'm tired of converting to HH.MM.SS.SSS and even when I do, the Garmin doesn't accept all the info or won't let me enter it at all, greying out needed numbers for reasons I have yet to comprehend. Not enough decimal places.

I understand I can get Google Maps to display coordinates in HH.MM.SS, but I can't find/remember how.

Further complication: I can't seem to get my Zumo to accept different formats...

>enter coordinates screen and it displays h ddd mm ss.s'
>Format displays two options h ddd mm'ss.ss" and Datum WGS 84
>Select Datum WGS 84 (I believe that's what Google Maps uses)
>OK
>Back....no change. Still wants me to enter hours and minutes, which it won't accept anyway.

What the simplest way to get this job done?

My phone CoPilot GPS App (my back-up) has no problem whatsoever, my Zumo...Eh.

I know I'm probably missing something simple, but I can't figure it out.

Comments

• menhir 62 Points
    I'll be a bit more specific...It's not like I'm going to some top secret location. :)

Southern entry for the Natchez Trace Parkway:
    Google Maps:

Converts to:
    31D 32'51.5574"
    -91D 221'58.4676"

I can't get the Zumo to accept either.

(I also have never, ever been able to get this particular laptop to display the degree symbol :-w )
  • menhir 62 Points
    You know, I really hate it when i get to the point where I can't find an answer on my own, then post my question here, and then...

Find out the answer on my own. >:P

I think...So let me know if I got the right combination.

I changed the format to
    h ddd.ddddd degrees
    Datum
    WGS 84

And entered the coordinates straight from Google Maps and that seemed to do the trick.
    I'm planning a trip where I may need to enter a lot of POI's my coordinates. I just want to make sure I'm getting this right.

Thanks for hearing me out in my moment of shame. :-)
  • Boyd 1954 Points
    Looks like you found the best method. The google coordinates are in decimal degrees which is really the easiest format to use. Setting your Zumo to h ddd.dddd puts it into the same format. WGS 84 is the standard for all Garmin devices.
  • Ramaprem 111 Points
    edited July 5
    I use Google Earth.
    One can change the format/system of coordinates shown in the Preferences of Earth.
  • menhir 62 Points
    edited July 5
    Boyd said:

Looks like you found the best method. The google coordinates are in decimal degrees which is really the easiest format to use. Setting your Zumo to h ddd.dddd puts it into the same format. WGS 84 is the standard for all Garmin devices.

Thanks. It's nice to get some confirmation that I hit it right...even if by trial and error.
    Part of the problem was my own fault. There didn't seem to be enough options on the Zumo until I noticed the down arrows. There were more options if I just scrolled down. D'Oh!
    Ramaprem said:

I use Google Earth.
    One can change the format/system of coordinates shown in the Preferences of Earth.

Going back on some old notes, I found that's what I did the last time.

I forgot because I haven't been using Google Earth as much as I used to. Since the update to "Pro" the program consistently freezes during each and every use...say within 10 minutes, probably less. I've tried all the suggestions given to stop this to no effect so I just started using the satellite view in Google Maps instead. Not as good, but I don't end up losing my work.

It's always something. 8-|