This site uses cookies to offer you a better browsing experience. Find out more about how to manage cookies, or dismiss this message and continue to use cookies.

Garmin DriveSmart 51

Why is the power button on the back of the unit with no voice command option to turn off/on???

Comments

• sussamb 786 Points
    Sorry but I'm not really clear what you're asking here? The power button has been on the back of some units for a while, so I guess you're wondering why there is no voice command option. I suspect partly in case it is mistakenly switched off while navigating. If you feel it should be an option you could try making your point here https://www8.garmin.com/contactUs/ideas/
  • Chris_Sav 119 Points
    Cannot have a voice command to turn the unit on as it would not be able to receive it in an 'off' state.

Is there another reason you are asking this question, such as a disability?
  • AssTyme 81 Points
    The reason I'm asking is because it's a real PITA to try and get your finger around back without smudging up the window and knocking the unit out of position.
  • t923347 424 Points
    Are you using it on battery power? If the GPS is plugged in using the AC adapter it should come on every time you start the vehicle up and shut off when you turn it off. Seems like that should take care of most of the situations you'd need to turn the unit off and on.

• AssTyme 81 Points
    The 12V sockets in my 2014 Chevy Express van are always live.
  • sussamb 786 Points
    edited July 22
    Just pull the plug out then and put it back in to switch it back on
  • crazyfingers 106 Points
    I wonder if they make 12V plug extensions with on/off switches. Would be easier on the plug that way.