This site uses cookies to offer you a better browsing experience. Find out more about how to manage cookies, or dismiss this message and continue to use cookies.

New 12.075 Application Released for Nav 3 Devices

dhn 330 Points
A new application has been released for the following:

Version 12.075
Released on 26 July 2018 This update applies to: GO 1000, GO 1005 / GO 2050, GO 1050, GO 1050 World, GO 2405, GO 2435, GO 2505, GO 2435, GO 2505 LIVE, GO 2535, GO 2535 TM WTE, GO LIVE 1000, GO LIVE 1005, GO LIVE 1050 / GO LIVE 2050, GO LIVE 1535, GO LIVE 2050, GO LIVE 2535 M, GO LIVE 820, GO LIVE 825, GO LIVE Camper & Caravan Edition, PRO 5150 Truck, Start 20 / Via 220, Start 25, Start 60 (2012), Via 110, Via 115, Via 120 / Via 160, Via 125, VIA 130 / 135, VIA 1400 / 1405, VIA 1410 / 1415, VIA 1430 / 1435, VIA 1500, VIA 1505, Via 1530 / 1535, VIA 160, VIA 1605, Via 180, Via 220, VIA 260 / 280, VIA All Blacks Edition, VIA LIVE 120, VIA LIVE 125, VIA LIVE 160, VIA LIVE 180

Consider this a VITAL update to resolve a gps date problem that will take place on April 6, 2019.

See here for more information of the problem:

https://spectracom.com/resources/blog/lisa-perdue/2018/gps-2019-week-rollover-what-you-need-know

Comments

• alanb 425 Points
    Very interesting article. Thanks for posting it. It makes me wonder how many Garmins are vulnerable and if cell phones rely on this information in any way.
  • Boyd 1954 Points
    Yes, that is something I haven't heard about before - thanks!
  • Chris_Sav 116 Points
    Should not be a problem as it has happened before.

The problem depends entirely on whether any ancient unit's firmware has been upgraded to hold a week number higher than 1024. Same as the millennium date when two digit date systems (YY) had to be upgraded to four digit (YYYY) to hold the century as well.

I would expect that any recent unit will have this covered and most will many will never have had a problem in the first place with forward thinking date storage.
  • Boyd 1954 Points
    edited July 31
    Chris_Sav said:

I would expect that any recent unit will have this covered and most will many will never have had a problem in the first place

That's what I would expect also. But that is a very long list of TomTom devices requiring this "VITAL" update. ;)
  • dhn 330 Points
    All those listed are referred to as Nav 3 devices (last produced in 2014 [I think]). Newer Nav 4 and, now, Nav 5 devices are not affected apparently.
  • dhn 330 Points
    Sorry, forgot to add that many of those models listed are actually the same model -- just renamed for different regions (such as Europe, NA, Australia).
  • Boyd 1954 Points
    Will be interesting to see what responses are posted to this new thread on the groundspeak forum:

forums.geocaching.com/GC/index.php?/topic/349353-april-6-2019-week-rollover-issue/
  • alanb 425 Points
    Member bdhsfz6 over in the POI Factory forum submitted a support question to Garmin about this. For what it's worth, here is the reply he got
    Hello

No, it does not look like there will be any problem with the Garmin devices with the 1024 week rollover in 2019.

Thank you for choosing Garmin,

Isaac
    Product Support - Map Update Team
    Garmin International
    Note: I know this is the TomTom forum, but decided to post here since that is where the rollover issue is being discussed. @moderators .... go ahead and delete this post if you don't want it here.
  • Boyd 1954 Points
    IMO, any sign of life in the TomTom forum is a good thing. >:)
  • dhn 330 Points
    Yeah, I haven't been too busy here (<----understatement).

Normally, I don't report any new software or hardware release either.
  • Boyd 1954 Points
    edited August 3
    I'm afraid the party is just about over here. There are 4 or 5 remaining "old timers" who make a comment every few weeks, and a few newer members who stop by to complain about quirks on their newer Garmin devices. And that's about it. Still better than the Nuvi forum on GPSPassion which is almost flat-lined with no posts since June 20, but that's not much to brag about.

Then there's laptopgpsworld which is like a refuge for endagered species. The discussion over there is mostly about how to keep using long-discontinued software. People are doing really crazy stuff, like re-installing old demo copies of MS Streets and Trips once a month on virtual Windows XP machines.

GPSFileDepot remains active because you can get free stuff there. And the discussion keeps going because people can't figure how to install maps since Garmin broke their software with the May update.

The most active site is groundspeak because apparently there are still a lot of people interested in geocaching. That has never interested me in the least, so I'm not a member.

Well... "it is what it is". Was fun while it lasted but a year or two from now I doubt that anyone will come around here at all. :(
  • alanb 425 Points
    @Boyd ... POI Factory still has a lot of activity with many regulars posting each week. I think the camera files and the way JM implemented the "free" access to these files by requiring regular posting keeps members coming back. They have also developed a pretty comprehensive member contributed reference library with their published FAQs.
  • Zemartelo 102 Points
    So whats killing the car gps? I dont think its the phone apps, theres really only a couple of them and around here I dont really see people using their phone as a gps device.
    Perhaps is because in car GPS is more and more common and people dont need a dedicated gps unit anymore?
  • alanb 425 Points
    edited August 4
    It is probably a combination of the two (phone apps and built-ins). Then there is Android Auto and Apple Car Play which is kind of a hybrid of the two technologies. They use the phone GPS and app, but use the car's infotainment system and controls for the user interface.

I think the phone navigation apps like Apple maps and Google navigation are the primary cause of the declining market share for dedicated gps navigation devices. The built-ins are still very expensive and typically included only on the high end option packages for new cars.
  • sussamb 780 Points
    edited August 4
    alanb said:

Then there is Android Auto and Apple Car Play which is kind of a hybrid of the two technologies. They use the phone GPS and app, but use the car's infotainment system and controls for the user interface.

We're about to replace my wife's car with one that has this, at least we are if we can cut a deal tomorrow though we won't take delivery until early September. I'll be interested to see how this compares to my Garmin :)
  • Boyd 1954 Points
    POI's and speed cameras just don't interest me. ;)
    Zemartelo said:

I dont think its the phone apps, theres really only a couple of them

Are you serious? There are a LOT more than that and I think they are indeed what is killing the dedicated GPS.

Like alan says, automotive systems that interface with your phone are becoming popular. I have CarPlay and Android Auto in my car. Used it once and wasn't impressed. Apple forces you to use Apple maps on CarPlay, but they are supposedly opening it up to other apps in the next version of iOS this fall.

My daughter and son in law are in their mid thirties and will never buy a dedicated gps. I suspect their friends are the same. They use Waze.
  • Tim 1470 Points
    Most of my friends use "whatever the maps app is that came on my phone". A few others, more commonly friends who live or work in cities will use Waze for its traffic data. I don't know any friends who use a mount for their phone, they just prop it in a sunglasses tray, cupholder, or wherever else it might be somewhat visible.

We just bought a new car that has Car Play, but I haven't hooked it up. I will sometime. The car includes its own navigation system, built on TomTom data.
  • Boyd 1954 Points
    edited August 4
    Although your friends aren't going to buy a DriveSmart, perhaps they will buy a Fenix Sports Watch, or use a Garmin device on their boat or airplane. :)
  • alanb 425 Points
    edited August 4
    I have Android Auto. I have been using Google navigation and have tried to like it, but it just doesn't measure up to my 3597 IMO. The lane guidance is acceptable, but not nearly as robust as the Garmin. It doesn't show a lot of the info I get on the Garmin display, like speed limit, alerts, etc. I have really come to appreciate Garmin's "Real Directions" prompting, which Google doesn't have. I have not been able to figure out how to do multi point routing. It may be there, but it is not at all obvious. The voice recognition feature isn't nearly as robust or reliable as Garmin ... at least for me. I suppose that may be the fault of the implementation on my specific car. There is no route import capability, no track log ... on and on.

I haven't tried Waze yet, but maybe I should give that a try. I was really hoping some other navigation apps would become available on Android Auto, but I think Google is keeping it pretty well locked up.

I will be interested to read sussamb's observations when he gets his new car.
  • alanb 425 Points
    Boyd said:

POI's and speed cameras just don't interest me. ;)

There is a lot of discussion and content over there on general GPS technology, so it isn't all about POI's. It may have been in the beginning, but like many forums, it has evolved.

I do have enforcement cameras in my local driving area and although I know where all of them are, I like getting the alert as a reminder to slow down. I haven't gotten a ticket yet although my son-in-law has (he navigates with his smart phone). :)
  • sussamb 780 Points
    alanb said:

I will be interested to read sussamb's observations when he gets his new car.

Timing for that could be interesting. The car on offer isn't exactly what we wanted, but it's very close. We get a good deal and buy it we'll have it in early September, if not we'll need to order the specific model and there is a 6 month wait!
  • Boyd 1954 Points
    edited August 4
    alanb said:

There is a lot of discussion and content over there on general GPS technology, so it isn't all about POI's.

I'm sure it's a good site, but no thanks. I already spend too much time on sites that are full of old guys tallking about stuff that doesn't interest anyone else. :O)
  • dhn 330 Points
    Gentlemen...…….think we've strayed from the original topic of this thread.
  • Boyd 1954 Points
    I would split this discussion off to a new thread, but never figured out how to do that after the forum software change. :)
  • Tim 1470 Points
    edited August 5
    The split function was pretty buggy, so I disabled it a few years ago. I'll see if I can move things around later today.
  • Chris_Sav 116 Points
    Don't know whether I'm an old timer after over five years, or a Moaning Minnie! bit harsh anyway!

It's a shame things are so quiet as this forum and its members have been an invaluable source of information for me.

I still do not want to go down the app route as I still prefer a quality dedicated device and am prepared to pay for such. Problem is my personal opinion is the latest offerings are few and far between, not as well prepared and I have had a sequence of issues with them. My old 3790 still remains rock solid after over seven years, despite everything I've done to it including it falling from my motorcycle at 50mph. It still gets put in the glove box on trips in case it's more recent sibling throws a wobbler or the battery lead comes off yet again.

Thus I think it unlikely I'll be buying another GPS as my latest upgrades to domestic systems increasingly offer remote control via the dreaded app. I could even open/close the cat flap from down the pub now if I had a smart phone!.
  • Boyd 1954 Points
    edited August 6
    I got a 3790 in 2010 and it was a great device in its day, we have a long thread here: http://forums.gpsreview.net/discussion/18686/x/p1/

But if you still find it acceptable, then our standards are vastly different. It has a very slow processor and the multi-touch gestures never worked right. It also has the worst version of the "Trip Planner" that doesn't do multi-stop routing properly and you cannot import/export routes to a computer. Gave mine to a family member years ago after replacing it with a Nuvi 3550. The 35xx series was what the 37xx series should have been - faster processor with a touchscreen that actually worked properly. Unfortunately, it also had the old style trip planner that was terrible. I think they finally fixed this on the 3597.

By today's standards, the 35xx series is also really slow. Now this may not make any difference for someone who only uses City Navigator, but the maps I make really stress Garmin's devices. The DriveSmart 61 is much faster than the Nuvi 35xx and has a better screen, plus it's a lot cheaper than those older models. So in that respect, Garmin has made some progress.