This site uses cookies to offer you a better browsing experience. Find out more about how to manage cookies, or dismiss this message and continue to use cookies.

nuvi 765t power question

I have a usb socket/port wired into my motorcycle. Can I power, not just charge, the 765 via the usb port on the gps? I really dont want to use the standard cradle as it requires a cigarette type socket connection.
Thanx for any help....Dan

Comments

• Boyd 1955 Points
    edited August 23
    You certainly should be able to do this, although you may need a USB power cable as opposed to a USB data cable. The data cable has an extra wire that confuses some of the older Nuvi models so that they enter mass storage mode.

But there’s another issue with many of the older Nuvi devices that had active cradles (the ones with contact fingers in a row and a pushbutton to release). With many of these old devices, if you power them by USB, you cannot set the screen to full brightness. The brightness control will say 100% but it will look like 70% or so.

I don’t know if the 7x5 series has this issue, but a few of my older ones did. Try and see what happens. The dim screen is not very well suited to daytime use. We have discussed this here in the past.
  • alanb 429 Points
    Yes, the 7x5 series has this screen brightness problem when not in the powered cradle. My 755T brightness is marginal at best, and pretty much useless in bright conditions when not in the cradle.
  • 1216bandit 81 Points
    Thanx guys...looks like I will have to run a proper 12 volt cig lighter type receptacle.