This site uses cookies to offer you a better browsing experience. Find out more about how to manage cookies, or dismiss this message and continue to use cookies.

New GPSMap 66 is coming

Boyd 1954 Points
This link was posted on the groundspeak forums:

http://webcache.googleusercontent.com/search?q=cache:-0PCiVqZnzYJ:https://www.sued-west.com/Ausruestung/Outdoor-Technik/Navigation/Garmin-GPSmap-66s.html+Garmin+GPSmap+66s&client=opera&hs=Cxb&channel=suggest&gbv=1&hl=de&ct=clnk#tab_description

Here's a Google translation. Nice they are updating the GPSMap series, and I suppose Galileo support is the main feature, but the rest doesn't do much for me. And a 240x400 pixel screen in 2018? Really??? :O)

Garmin's GPSmap 66s is a rugged outdoor professional, significant upgrade and successful expansion of the GPSmap 64 Series! Improved hardware and features enable a very long battery life in StandbyTrac mode (up to a week) and even more accurate, faster satellite tracking (even on difficult terrain) thanks to GPS; GLONASS and GALILEO, the Quad Helix antenna and the automatic ABC sensor calibration.

Also new are the extra large, sturdy 3 '' color display (240 x 400) and additional weather features. With pre-installed WW Basemap card, the huge 15.5 GB of internal memory can be additionally expanded via the microSD card slot. With Garmin Explore (Sync Data via Portal and App), Garmin GPSmap 66s also lets you plan tours and tracks offline.

Satellite system: Highly sensitive GPS, GLONASS and GALILEO receiver for fast satellite reception, even in difficult terrain.

Quad helix antenna for accurate location.
3 '' display (65k color transflective TFT), resolution 240 x 400, legible even in sunlight.
Outdoor-optimized dual battery system for longer battery life (up to one week in StandbyTrac mode.
Extremely rugged, Mil-STD-810G handheld.
15.5 GB of internal memory with plenty of room for tracks and caches.
Protected microSD card slot for additional maps, TracBack, waypoints and route navigation.
Pre-installed map WW Basemap.
Automatic calibration of the barometric altimeter and the electronic 3-axis compass.
3-axis accelerometer.
Weather forecast and radar.
LED flashlight.
SOS beacon.
Backlight.
Night vision mode.
BirdsEye satellite download via Wi-Fi (real time).
Live track.
GrupTrack.
Wireless SW updates, apps, widgets and data fields via Connect IQ.
Geocaching Live.
Garmin Explore Portal and app for data synchronization and planning your own routes and routes.
Wireless data transfer via ANT + to GPS devices or sensors (chest strap, cadence ...).
20 routes.
Track Log: 10,000 points.
500 waypoints.
TracBack.
Supports raster maps.
Custom Map Support.
Topo Maps, BlueChart g2, BirdsEye.
Connected Features (Notifications, LiveTrack, GroupTrack, Activity Upload.
Battery life up to 1 week (in StandbyTrack mode).
Operation with 2 mignon batteries (not incl.).
Shock and dust resistant as well as water resistant (according to IPX 73).

Comments

• Boyd 1954 Points
    And it's official:

https://buy.garmin.com/en-US/US/p/598455

Navigate your next outdoor adventure with the GPSMAP 66 series. Whether you’re hiking, hunting, climbing, geocaching, kayaking or mountain biking, you can explore more with this premium, rugged handheld with a 3” color display. It features access to BirdsEye Satellite Imagery with direct-to-device downloads to help you find your way plus preloaded TOPO U.S. and Canada maps on GPSMAP 66s. And it offers offers multi-GNSS support as well as wireless connectivity for Active Weather, direct downloads and Garmin Explore compatibility.
  • alanb 425 Points
    edited September 5
    https://buy.garmin.com/en-US/US/p/598455

Looks like availability is 5 to 8 weeks out.
  • alanb 425 Points
    One of the interesting side features on the North America version of the GPSMap 66 is being discussed on the Groundspeak forum:

"Access to BirdsEye Satellite Imagery with direct-to-device downloads and no annual subscription".

I assume "no annual subscription" means it is a "free" "lifetime" subscription. That is something new for Garmin handhelds.
  • alanb 425 Points
    In addition to not having to pay the annual subscription, anyone who has gone through the agony of the long downloads of Birdseye imagery via Basecamp (including missed tiles requiring redownloads) and transferring these images from Basecamp to the device, will appreciate the potential advantage of this feature.
  • Boyd 1954 Points
    If there are Birdseye problems, why would you assume they will go away when you download direct to the device? Do we know what kind of wifi it will have? Knowing Garmin, it's probably not the fast 802.11ac. If so, then you may have a much slower connection than you could get on a computer. I get 150 mbit/sec on my computers. My last Birdseye subscription expired many years ago.

I'll agree, this is a step in the right direction, but this device just doesn't interest me.
  • Zemartelo 102 Points
    It says no annual subscription but somehow I think the $700/$800 price tag covers that price.

Because of that price its a pass for me. My 600 Oregon still works fine and altough I would like the Connectivity features its not enough to cough up the price of a galaxy S9.
  • Boyd 1954 Points
    edited September 9
    Where are you seeing a $700/$800 price? Garmin's site says $450 with the topo map or $400 without. Maybe you're thinking of the GPSMap 276cx? https://buy.garmin.com/en-US/US/p/539722/pn/010-01607-00#

The $400/450 price point is in line with what Garmin has charged for other premium models like the Montana for some time. Nevertheless, that's a lot more than I'd pay for it. ;)
  • Zemartelo 102 Points
    I saw it somewhere being $800.00 or something.... but $450US is better but still steep for me.
  • alanb 425 Points
    edited September 9
    Compared to other Garmin handhelds in the current lineup, $400 to $450 is about what I would expect. If I recall, the GPSMap 64s was priced in that same $400 range when it was introduced 3 or 4 years ago.

Because of the growing popularity if inexpensive smartphone apps, you could make the case that all Garmin dedicated GPS devices are overpriced.
  • Boyd 1954 Points
    Sure could. >:)
  • alanb 425 Points
    Yup, and I guess there are still a few folks who will pay $15 for a movie ticket rather than stream it on their 60" TV for $3.99. ;)
  • sussamb 780 Points
    alanb said:

Because of the growing popularity if inexpensive smartphone apps, you could make the case that all Garmin dedicated GPS devices are overpriced.

I've tried using a smartphone when I'm out hiking but way prefer my Garmin. My Etrex20 broke a few weeks ago as the zoom in button failed and I did consider whether it should be replaced. Contacted Garmin who even though it was over six years old said they'd replace it for half the cost of a new one. As my wife then pointed out, the cost over six years was negligible. Returned it on a Friday and got the replacement the following Wednesday :)
  • Garmin still improving a great product..kudos to them. Any hand held Garmins put cell phones to shame. Screen and all.. Readable in sunlight and long long battery life. And totally dependable for in the woods any where hiking.. keep at it Garmin..