This site uses cookies to offer you a better browsing experience. Find out more about how to manage cookies, or dismiss this message and continue to use cookies.

New automotive devices coming?

Just wondering out loud... wanted to check something in the manual for the DriveSmart 61 and went to Garmin's site

https://buy.garmin.com/en-US/US/p/552113

Notice that it says there is 5 to 8 weeks "processing time" if you order one from them. This seems very odd. Are they getting ready to introduce a new model? Or maybe this is just another sign that Garmin simply doesn't care about automotive devices anymore? AFAIK, the DS61 is their current top of the line model.

Comments

• alanb 427 Points
    Good question. I wonder if it might have something to do with Trump's tariffs. Maybe Garmin is re-sourcing certain components.
  • alanb 427 Points
    Another interesting aspect to this is that Buydig.com has recently been selling the DriveSmart 61 as factory refurbs. A couple of weeks ago, they had the price as low as $119 and a number of members on POI Factory took advantage of that deal. We know that Garmin recently sold out its former "top of the line" DriveLuxe 61 LMT-S at discounted prices, then discontinued it. Are they doing the same with the DriveSmart?

www.buydig.com/shop/product/GRDRIVES61RB/Garmin-DriveSmart-61-NA-LMT-S-GPS-w-Smart-Features-Refurbished-1-Year-Warranry

(Note: "Warranry" is not a typo ... I copied the actual link on Buydig.)
  • t923347 414 Points
    Ah, but they got it right in the product title on the webpage:

Garmin DriveSmart 61 NA LMT-S 6.95" GPS w/ Smart Features Refurbished 1 Year Warranty

;)
  • alanb 427 Points
    edited September 14
    It is a real curiosity though about what Garmin is up to with their Drive line of products. Are they dumping inventory to get out of that market altogether, or preparing for some new product releases? My suspicion is the former, but I hope it is the latter ... not because I want to buy a new road navigation device, but because I realize what closing down the Drive line means for the future of map updates.
  • Tim 1470 Points
    Historically, new releases come out around the turn of the year. (Often, but by no means always.) This means they often dump old inventory over the holidays to make room for the new, as well as timing announcements around CES in January. But of course in this day where so little of Garmin's revenue is in consumer auto GPS, not much of history matters anymore.
  • Zemartelo 102 Points
    I have the driveassist 51 and I like the connectivity of it.
    The dashcam is not the best out there but it works and is reasonable.
    What they need to offer is user map updates and more specifically traffic sharing using the mobile app linked to the unit.

The advantage of the mobile apps is exactly that, user input. (Im thinking of wazzle for example). I would rather have the features in the Nuvi instead of having the phone on the dashboard.
  • Boyd 1955 Points
    Zemartelo said:

(Im thinking of wazzle for example).

What is "wazzle"? I'm guessing that you didn't mean the definition that is found in the Urban Dictionary. :D

Did you mean Waze perhaps?
  • Zemartelo 102 Points
    Yes, its waze... No clue why I was thinking wazzle.

So I had to look for the definition and honestly do not see the connection between them??
    1) to mast*****.
    2) a very stupid person
    3) a very good poker player, especially in the game "Texas Hold'em".
    4) to have s**

lmao.
  • Boyd 1955 Points
    Garmin is still listing a 5 to 8 week shipping delay for the DriveSmart 61. Maybe they custom build them for each order now, LOL :D