This site uses cookies to offer you a better browsing experience. Find out more about how to manage cookies, or dismiss this message and continue to use cookies.

Garmin market evolution.

This link was posted by member Th_WB over on the POI Factory forum: //seekingalpha.com/article/4204046-garmin-changed-destination.

I was surprised to see the growth in the "outdoor" category. Makes you wonder why Garmin abandoned support and development of BaseCamp.

Comments

• Boyd 1955 Points
    That's pretty interesting Alan. And - jeez - I thought my opinion was harsh... ;)

"Most of us know it by its line of GPS products, which was a well-appreciated brand for those devices many years ago."
  • Zemartelo 102 Points
    They lost market share in the automative sector because they made several mistakes.
    New models every year that removed previous features and added new ones that were later crippled.
    Bad implementation of online features. Bluetooth connection to a smartphone was genius but the app itself is atrocious and really useless.
    The traffic features are bad, in 2018 its unacceptable that still only a few cities are covered. Most of the continent should have traffic. Better yet, with the online connection user they missed an oportunity to have user input. (waze allows to report accidents, barriers,closures,etc).
    Garmin could achieve that too.

But most important of it all, obsolete maps, theres a few discussions here, how many years it takes for new roads and corrections to appear on the maps?
    Roads dont just pop up everyday but when they do it shouldnt take years to show up on your gps device.
    And finally their price system and the refusal to adapt by pretending that there was no competition.

Why pay hundreds of dollars for a limited device (limited in the sense that its an automative GPS and nothing else) when for that same money people can buy a powerful smartphone that offers free navigation (google maps) with reliable maps, traffic info that covers alot more areas), features, and overall a much better and polished interface?

Yeah Garmin themselves are to blame for being obsolete.

They are still doing great in the outdoor section because theres really no competition in that space.
    Its not that the devices are bad, but they do have the Garmin touch and have problems.
    Im sure if competition entered the space Garmin would be in trouble too there.
    They are obsolete.
  • mike41 18 Points
    What happens to the phone navigation when phone calls and text messages are received. Yesterday I was in an area near a major city and for a period of miles no network signal for using Waze. I like Waze but the Garmin kept giving me directions but without traffic as the traffic needs a connection through the phone. The Garmin is more reliable and convient.
  • Boyd 1955 Points
    edited October 1
    That is really just an issue with Waze (or Google). Garmin’s own StreetPilot app has the map permanently installed on your phone and works fine with no cell signal. Of course, they have now discontinued that app. X(

But there’s the TomTom and HereWeGo apps, and they have maps installed on the phone as well. There are probably some others.

The TomTom app includes lifetime updates of maps of the entire world (you can install as many or as few of the international maps as you like).
  • alanb 427 Points
    Garmin devices seem to work forever. I have 6 Garmins ... oldest from 2009 and they all still work like new. But without sales of new devices to generate revenue, Garmin will not be able to continue with the "lifetime" map updates, and at some point will also discontinue the Smartphone Link service for traffic. And that will be the end of it. Sure, you can install OpenStreetMaps to get updated maps, but you lose a lot of functionality and features when you do that.

Garmin still has the best user interface for road navigation IMO, but they sure missed the boat by not coming up with a sustainable marketing model for smartphone apps.