This site uses cookies to offer you a better browsing experience. Find out more about how to manage cookies, or dismiss this message and continue to use cookies.

Google Earth Pro/Garmin Device

Newest version of Google Earth Pro will not recognize my Oregon 600. Any fixes for that?

Comments

• sussamb 813 Points
    Try reverting to an earlier version ...
  • OK, any one in particular
  • What version should I try
  • sussamb 813 Points
    The one that did work for you?
  • Boyd 1985 Points
    I am not much of a Google fan and don't use Google Earth very often. But you may not be able to downgrade so easily. We were discussing this on another forum last year because some people weren't happy when Google discontinued the old version and made the pro version free. When users tried reverting to the old version, they found that it automatically updated again. Some discussion of this on Google's own forums.

https://productforums.google.com/forum/#!topic/maps/hk-NFqEfHrg

Q: I don't remember agreeing to this?
    A: When you installed Google Earth, you agreed to the Google Earth Additional Terms Of Service, including the Google Terms Of Service, which state, under "About Software in our Services": "When a Service requires or includes downloadable software, this software may update automatically on your device once a new version or feature is available."

Q: But why?
    A: Up-to-date client software is essential not only for maintaining the health of Google's services, but more importantly to best protect the security and privacy of our users.

Please follow up and let us know if you were able to revert to an old version or if it automatically updates again.
  • sussamb 813 Points
    I am still on an older version, and stayed on an older version of the original GE for a while but I guess if you've updated there may be something that stops you reverting. As Boyd says will be good to know.
  • Boyd 1985 Points
    Yeah, I still have version 7.1.5 of Google Earth Pro from 2015 on my Windows machine. I only use it to test compatibility of the maps I offer at boydsmaps.com. Specifically, I gather it is not possible to revert to the "regular" Google Earth after you have installed Google Earth Pro.
  • I tried 7.1.8 and it still would recognize my Oregon 600
  • sussamb 813 Points
    edited November 2018
    Boyd said:

Specifically, I gather it is not possible to revert to the "regular" Google Earth after you have installed Google Earth Pro.

I had both on my PC for a while as I couldn't get Pro to work with BaseCamp ... Now Pro does I've removed the non-Pro one

• I meant to say would not recognize my unit
  • sussamb 813 Points
    Where in GE is it not recognised? Are you trying in File, Import? If so it works for my Etrex 20.
  • I plug in device, open device in GE, in GE dialog box where tracks, way points etc are checked , click on import. I then get the device not recognized.
  • sussamb 813 Points
    Ah ok, I get that too but if you use File, Import you can import your files.
  • Not sure I understand. Files from device or Base Camp ?
  • sussamb 813 Points
    Device
  • I'm a old guy(73)and not too techy as you can likely tell by now. Could you explain how to load/import a file from the device that is not recognized by GE.
  • sussamb 813 Points
    Well trying to do it your way I too get device not recognised but if you use File, Import you should see it listed ... Mine is.
  • Yes I see Garmin 600 listed, then what do I do.
  • sussamb 813 Points
    Navigate to the gpx files in the GPX folder and import them
  • When I click on GPX file three folders show up. I highlight them,open and dialog says there are no files that match.
  • Well, I finally figured it out. I want to thank sussamb for your help and patience, its greatly appreciated.
  • sussamb 813 Points
    Glad it's now working for you :)
  • I imported two tracks, but only one at a time shows up in GE. I want all tracks to at the same time,all the time. any thoughts on how to accomplish that in GE
  • sussamb 813 Points
    edited November 2018
    You could load them into BaseCamp and export them all as one gpx file, that would work. Or depending on how you set up GE, create various folders within temporary places, then select each one as needed to import data. To see all the data you then select the temporary places folder. If you plan to keep them within the GE database set up the folders within the My places folder. You can also drag and drop folders to other folders. It's just a question of what works best for you.
  • These two tracks are in Base Camp but not sure how to export to GE, GE dose not show as a option to export to. I have dragged them to my places under paths but still only appear one at a time
  • sussamb 813 Points
    Select them both, then in BC go to View, Google Earth and select Selected items
  • I do not have a GE option BC, View. About to end this project,might be better off downloading birdseye maybe all my tracks will show there. Seems like showing all tracks should at once should be a no brainer.
  • sussamb 813 Points
    Strange, although GE screwed up a while back and removed the necessary link for BC but that was resolved in later issues, are you running the latest GE?

In any case the other option is as I've already suggested. Export the tracks as one GPX fiie, then import that into GE. To do that select both (or more) tracks in BC. Select File, Export and save the file somewhere on your PC. Now run GE and select File, Import ... and import the file you exported from BC.
  • Boyd 1985 Points
    I thought the Google Earth option was removed from that last (disastrous) Basecamp update? Is there something newer than Basecamp 4.7 now? Here's a thread where you agreed with this... has something changed since then?

https://forums.garmin.com/forum/mac-windows-software/windows-software/basecamp-aa/1355762-google-earth-re-integrated-in-basecamp-4-7-1
  • sussamb 813 Points
    Yes, it was sorted then broken in 4.7. That's why I asked if he was running the latest version as that would explain his version not working. In any case the simplest way to get what he's after is the export then import I described above, that'll work whatever version (s) he has.
  • sussamb said:

Strange, although GE screwed up a while back and removed the necessary link for BC but that was resolved in later issues, are you running the latest GE?

In any case the other option is as I've already suggested. Export the tracks as one GPX fiie, then import that into GE. To do that select both (or more) tracks in BC. Select File, Export and save the file somewhere on your PC. Now run GE and select File, Import ... and import the file you exported from BC.

• Tried this, saved the file to documents but when I hit import,documents in GE its not in the dialog box. I opened the Documents folder and it shows up ok but not in GE
  • DaveM 159 Points
    When you import to GE it will default to "Generic Text (*.txt *.csv)". In the dropdown menu near the bottom right of the import dialog box change it to all files and you should see your file.
  • Thank you so much, that worked,all my new trails show up now.
  • sussamb 813 Points
    Great :)