This site uses cookies to offer you a better browsing experience. Find out more about how to manage cookies, or dismiss this message and continue to use cookies.

newbie with Camper 760LM

Hi All
I have the above, purchased 2nd hand to use in S of France and Spain. Unfortunately when I get to Toulouse and points south mapping seems to be major road only. This is probably to do with the fact that the installed maps are:

CN Europe NTU
2019.20 UK and Ireland

I cannot see any other way of getting any better maps? The only option in express us update or replace maps, and this then defaults to what I have.

Also.. the above maps are saved on the device not the inserted 8GB memory card, they take about 5GB of the 8GB in the device

Can anybody please help?

many thanks in advance

Gary

Comments

• sussamb 798 Points
    edited November 2018
    It's quite possible it only came with that map installed, in which case you'll need to buy the full EU map, or the Western Europe map if that's available.

https://buy.garmin.com/en-GB/GB/p/6299.html#devices
  • sussamb said:

It's quite possible it only came with that map installed, in which case you'll need to buy the full EU map, or the Western Europe map if that's available.

Thank you, that did occur to me but it does say Lifetime European maps in the Garmin blurb on this model

• Boyd 1974 Points
    edited November 2018
    The previous owner might have only installed part of the map during an update (although I'm not sure why they would do that).

Also, how did you determine that the maps were 5gb? Did you look at the actual map file, or is that the total amount of data stored on the whole gps device? The map will be in an invisible folder named .System and the file should be named gmapprom.img. See the last few posts in this recent thread for info on how to access the hidden folder

http://forums.gpsreview.net/discussion/comment/208701/#Comment_208701

If the actual map file itself is 5gb, then surely that covers more than just the UK and Ireland. But 5gb for all the data on the whole device is more reasonable, since there are some large databases of special RV POI's and (IIRC) speech recognition files that are large.

I would be surprised if Garmin sold an expensive device like that without full EU maps.
  • Thanks Boyd, I just looked at data on unit and SD card, rookie error! I will take a look and see.

The next problem then would be how to delete the part install and install all maps?
  • Boyd 1974 Points
    Some quick Google searches did say that your device should have included full EU maps originally. I have a Dezl 760 which is the same hardware as your device, but different firmware. It has a total of 8gb also, which would be pretty full with today's full North America map, and I think the EU map is even bigger.

These devices were introduced in 2012-2013 and Garmin's maps just keep getting bigger and bigger. So it's possible (even likely) that the current EU map will be too big for internal memory. I will let someone else comment on how to actually install the whole map - I'm sure it's possible. Garmin Express is probably my least favorite software and I avoid updating my devices whenever possible. ;)
  • OK... garmin Express (after multi tries) now says "Full coverage of Europe 2019.20" whereas the installed map on the unit is Nothern Europe, and detail dies down south. Bizarre
  • maps are only 2.8GB, which of course tie in with N Europe. I tried re-formatting the empty SD drive to encourage map storage there but to no avail
  • Boyd 1974 Points
    Yes, 2.8gb is too small for all of the EU. BTW, was just reading @sussamb 's earlier post, and the EU map that he linked to will not give you all the features of your device. The Camper, RV and Dezl devices has special databases for large vehicles with things like tight turns and low bridges that would be a problem. Also special POI's for recreation, campgrounds, etc. If you purchase the generic Garmin City Navigator map, you won't get any of that. And that map is also not eligible for future updates.

Hopefully someone here can help you sort out the issue with Express. If not, I would contact Garmin support. Even though it is surely out of warranty, they might be willing to help you re-install the full mapping.
  • sussamb 798 Points
    edited November 2018
    If your device is up to date, and 2019.20 is the latest one, and if you have lifetime maps then provided you have enough space in your device or have a suitable card installed Express should allow you to choose the complete EU map if you select reinstall. If it doesn't then something isn't right. What is listed when you go to Settings, Map and Vehicles, myMaps?

Note the current EU map is greater than 4Gb so comes in two parts, North and South. It's not quite clear from your description as earlier you said you had the UK and Ireland map but in your recent post you mention Northern Europe. Please try to be exact in what you're telling us as if we're to help you solve this remotely it's important we have the correct information.
  • sussamb 798 Points
    Boyd said:

BTW, was just reading @sussamb 's earlier post, and the EU map that he linked to will not give you all the features of your device. The Camper, RV and Dezl devices has special databases for large vehicles with things like tight turns and low bridges that would be a problem. Also special POI's for recreation, campgrounds, etc. If you purchase the generic Garmin City Navigator map, you won't get any of that. And that map is also not eligible for future updates.

This isn't true for the EU map if you update a previously installed 'part EU' map. You get the full map, features and updates. It is true if, for example, you buy it for a device with the NA map pre-installed.

• Thanks everybody for your comments;

1. Express shows Full Euro maps

2. Device now shows ALL N Europe

3. It's not using the inserted 8GB SD

4. Garmin support advise buying a 16GB SD card (maybe second map is > 8Gb. The new card will arrive tomorrow and I will try it.

Many thanks again, I will post when I get closure on this
  • sussamb 798 Points
    edited November 2018
    Second map is nowhere near 8Gb, it's just over 4Gb, so I'm unsure why Garmin are saying that, I use a 8Gb card without issue. If it's showing All N Europe then the All S Europe hasn't loaded. Try removing the card, then run Express. It should allow you to change map regions so you can select all of Europe. It will probably ask you to insert a sd card at that point. This is the Garmin FAQ that covers changing map regions, the part about Changing map regions is below the part that explains how to reinstall a map region:

https://support.garmin.com/en-US/?faq=dyYgXK9i6C3FkS9sU5xDcA&utm_source=faqSearch
  • sussamb 798 Points
    sussamb said:

Boyd said:

This isn't true for the EU map if you update a previously installed 'part EU' map. You get the full map, features and updates. It is true if, for example, you buy it for a device with the NA map pre-installed.

Apologies, link was wrong it's this one although immaterial as it sounds like the OP does have lifetime maps

https://buy.garmin.com/en-GB/GB/p/33380?utm_source=GarminEMEA&utm_medium=GarminLandingPage&utm_campaign=EMEA-nuMaps#overview
  • Right chaps.
    Firstly many thanks for your help. Garmin were as much use as teets on a bull as usual, glib answers. I have been using Garmins of all sorts for 20+ years and support has been dreadful

Anyhoo... I digress.

Express shows Full Euro maps. Device still shows N Euro only
    2.8GB remaining, ergo device too full to load full Euro, and not recognising SD card. No option to do anything else via Express

Now... to hang my head in shame, and confess that I am a techy. I took a step back from the Nav kit and thought 1st principals. One of 3 things now, either unit faulty (unlikely) TWO sim cards faulty (Unlikely) or some other reason why a PC can read it but not a Garmin. Recheck the format. "Generic file structure". I had specified FAT32.. then from the depths of my addled old brain came the lightbulb moment. I had been doing a quick format... maybe .. I carried out a full format. Inserted card. Did the reload.. and bang. Asked me if I wanted to use the SD CARD. :)

Now happily installing a 6 hour update when it was a 3 hour before. Quietly confident.

Many thanks for all your help

• sussamb 798 Points
    Great :)
  • Boyd 1974 Points
    Cool! B-)