This site uses cookies to offer you a better browsing experience. Find out more about how to manage cookies, or dismiss this message and continue to use cookies.

Security concerns with the Garmin archive at www.gawisp.com/perry

Boyd 1980 Points
We frequently suggest that people download old versions of Garmin software from this site. But I'm a little worried about doing this now. If you just go to www.gawisp.com (DON'T TRY IT!) you are re-directed to a very questionable URL that asks you to download a bogus copy of the Adobe Flash Player - a popular way of distributing malware. Unfortunately, this makes me wonder about the rest of the site.

What are your thoughts on this? I am getting a little worried about recommending that people download software from this site now.

Comments

• Tim 1480 Points
    I think it is unlikely someone would write malicious Garmin firmware because for most devices there is isn't much incentive to exploit most consumer GPS devices. With that said, I've never recommended people download firmware anywhere but direct from the manufacturer.
  • Boyd 1980 Points
    edited January 1
    Yeah, I was not concerned about "malicious firmware", but the files on that site might not actually contain firmware at all, so when you download/un-zip/install them, there could be a nasty surprise. >:) Also note that the site in question doesn't just archive firmware, but also Mac and Windows software like Basecamp, MapInstall, Express, Mapsource, etc.

I am going to stop posting links to that site now, I just don't trust it. And that is unfortunate, because Garmin does not have an archive of old software themselves.
  • Boyd 1980 Points
    edited January 1
    Just found another site with an archive of Basecamp versions, although evidently it's only the Windows versions. I believe the owner of that site is a member here, but has not been seen for a long time.

www.gpsrchive.com/BaseCamp/Update.html
  • Boyd 1980 Points
    edited January 1
    Update: we are discussing this over at GPSFileDepot, and another member contacted the owner of the site. It has been fixed now and it just redirects you to gpsinformation.net .

It is Allory Deiss' site and this page is evidently how you are supposed to access it.

gpsinformation.net/allory/garfeat3.htm