This site uses cookies to offer you a better browsing experience. Find out more about how to manage cookies, or dismiss this message and continue to use cookies.

New Garmin Drive models for 2019

https://newsroom.garmin.com/press-release/automotive/garmin-drive-navigators-arrive-simplified-road-trip-ready-features-2019
https://buy.garmin.com/en-US/US/p/612620/pn/010-02038-02#

The major things I have picked out so far …
Models include Drive 52, DriveSmart 55, DriveSmart 65
Built in traffic receiver (Garmin eliminated the bundled traffic receiver in the 2017 models)
3D terrain views available again (eliminated on previous Drive models)
Smartphone Link app replaced with Drive app including free weather and traffic cameras
No replacement for the DriveLuxe series.

Comments

• Boyd 1960 Points
    edited January 7
    Thanks Alan, was meaning to check and see if Garmin had announced anything for CES. That DriveSmart 65 sure looks like the same hardware as my DriveSmart 61. Would be nice to have the 3d terrain, but we know that Garmin won't do that with a firmware update (even though they could). ;)

The 5.5" edge to edge screen on the DriveSmart 55 looks nice.

But I wonder if they brought back the 3d map browser from the Nuvi 3xxx? I liked that better than the DriveSmart 61, which has the old map browser. The screenshot below might be a clue.... a major difference in the 3d browser was that it showed the sky and horizon, but this appears to have the horizon at the top edge of the screen, like the DriveSmart 61. So they have probably just added 3d terrain withoug changing anything else.

Can't see anything here that would make me want to upgrade, but it's nice to see they have at least introduced some new devices and brought back 3d terrain.

• Zemartelo 202 Points
    edited January 8
    It looks like Garmin has dumped the dashcam model. Its a shame, I wish they kept it. I have the driveassist 51 and cant think of getting a new unit without it.

Is garmin drive going to replace the smartphone link or is it only work with these new models?
  • t923347 424 Points
    Zemartelo said:

It looks like Garmin has dumped the dashcam model. Its a shame, I wish they kept it. I have the driveassist 51 and cant think of getting a new unit without it.

Is garmin drive going to replace the smartphone link or is it only work with these new models?

It will only work (at least for now) with the new GPS models and the Speak devices:

Drive App-compatible Garmin devices (iOS or Android)

Garmin Dash Cam 45
    Garmin Dash Cam 55
    Garmin Dash Cam 65W
    Garmin DriveSmart 55LMT
    Garmin DriveSmart 65LMT
    Garmin Speak
    Garmin Speak Plus
  • truckinguy 115 Points
    I'll buy one.. I know they'll be better in their own ways as Garmin always does to each new model. Seems they are listening to folks.. now traffic cable is included..for those without cell phones and Smart link is still there. Live track is gone.
    I like the Nat park data. I go to many of them a year across the USA and I now use files from other sources which can be wacked out and hoaky. Ask me how I know..