This site uses cookies to offer you a better browsing experience. Find out more about how to manage cookies, or dismiss this message and continue to use cookies.

Screen fades to very faint

Hi

on my Nuvi 2597 the unit does not seem to start when plugged into the (cig Lighter type) power outlet
in my car ( just get a grey screen) but when I unplug it the screen lights up with the usual "power has been lost "
message.

If I hit cancel the screen goes to grey again.

Any ideas on what is happening?

Also, is there a way to reset the unit?

Thanks

Daniel

Comments

• Boyd 1985 Points
    edited January 18
    Sounds like your power adapter is bad. Try a different one, or a USB power supply that you can connect to a wall outlet to test it. Another possible cause might be a bad USB socket on the Nuvi. You might also test the cigarette lighter outlet by plugging in some other kind of device. Could be a problem like a blown fuse in your car.

See this thread for hard reset instructions. However, this does not sound like a problem that a reset would cure.

http://forums.gpsreview.net/discussion/21511/x/p1/
  • Hi

Thanks for your reply, The power adapter works fine on my other Garmin (nuvi 1390)
    and plugging the 2597 into a USB outlet actually works better, the screen is not as grey (it is brighter)
    but is not normal, I have checked "brightness settings and it is set to Day.

The link to the resets does not include the 2597 as far as I can tell.

Cheers

Daniel
  • Hi again,

I turned the 2597 on with no power attached and it worked fine, as soon as I plugged the power in
    it went grey, seems to be adapter related but the other GPS works fine, Go figure

Cheers

Daniel
  • Boyd 1985 Points
    edited January 18
    The reset procedure should be the same as the first one in that thread. It applies to the Nuvi
    2505 series, such as the Nuvi 2595, and yours should be the same but with a larger screen.

The "day" setting has nothing to do with screen brightness. It just changes the map colors to a white background while the night setting has a black background.

Maybe I don't understand what you mean by "grey screen". Do you mean it is dim, or that it is just a solid grey color with no map? Try the reset, it can't hurt. But what you describe sounds like some kind of hardware problem. I think USB port problems are pretty common. Try looking very closely at the socket, you could compare it to your 1390 to see if anything looks damaged.

Also note that performing the reset will erase all your saved locations (aka favorites).
  • Hi again,

I turned the 2597 on with no power attached and it worked fine, as soon as I plugged the power in
    it went grey, seems to be adapter related but the other GPS works fine, Go figure

Cheers

Daniel

BTW the same happened with just USB power, so no adapter just a USB out of the cig lighter..

I will try the reset, nothing to lose, I have the data backed up.

Cheers

Daniel
  • Hi Boyd

I did the reset and it worked, the screen is back to normal under all conditions,
    I lost a few settings, which I guess were reset to default, but all fixed now.

Thank you so much for your help and knowledge.

Best regards

Daniel
  • Boyd 1985 Points
    Cool! B-)

That is a new one - have never heard of a problem like this before, where it only worked properly on battery. Glad it worked!
  • Just guessing but about a week ago there was a software update and a couple of days later I started my car and the GPS came on with a message that the GPS had been turned off to prevent damage from being overheated. When this issue started it was a very hot day >40c so perhaps the software kicked in and the unit could not start properly??