This site uses cookies to offer you a better browsing experience. Find out more about how to manage cookies, or dismiss this message and continue to use cookies.

Drive 50 LM - Internal memory short - using a microSD card?

I use BaseCamp. For the question below I am connected to my PC running BaseCamp. I have a blank microSD card installed.

When I connect the GPS to my PC, I noticed that my Drive 50's available internal memory is only about 100mg. Its microSD memory is about 16gb. I deleted all languages (voices) except that which I need from the internal memory. That freed up a little.

I am trying to figure out what is the difference between putting my personal waypoints and trips, of which I have a lot, on the internal memory or the external microSD card? When I place all my personal waypints and trips on the microSD card, I can still access them once the Drive 50 is disconnected from my PC. But are they automatically coped onto internal memory anyway?

Comments

• sussamb 798 Points
    Yes, and they don't take up much space anyway so space wise there is really no gain by adding them to the card.
  • Boyd 1980 Points
    edited January 24
    When the device starts, it looks for .gpx files in both internal memory and a memory card. If found, the data from these files is imported to an area of protected memory that you cannot directly access. It then dumps the full contents of that protected database to the Current.gpx file, which is how you can access or backup your user data since it can be directly accessed. But Current.gpx is only a copy of that protected internal data.

If you leave the memory card in the device, every time it starts, it will compare the contents of any .gpx files to the protected database. If any new data is found, it will be imported. Otherwise, the file(s) will be ignored. Internal memory is treated the same way.

So, there is no point in leaving your .gpx files on a card or in internal memory. That data is imported the first time you start the GPS and never used again. IMO, it's a bad idea to leave old .gpx files lying around. For example - if you delete a waypoint (favorite) that is included in a .gpx file on the device, the next time you start up that old waypoint will be imported again. The result is that you will never be able to delete any waypoints included in a .gpx file that is stored on the device, they will just keep coming back.

Also note, if you use Basecamp or Mapsource to send waypoints to your device, it simply creates a file named Temp.gpx. When your GPS starts up, it imports the data as described above. You should also remove the Temp.gpx file after it's data has been imported, for the same reason discussed above.

Now, regarding trip files - no idea. I don't use those but wouldn't be surprised if they behaved in a similar fashion.
  • Thanks very, very much for the reply. That answers all my questions.

Very much appreciated!

Doug