This site uses cookies to offer you a better browsing experience. Find out more about how to manage cookies, or dismiss this message and continue to use cookies.

STAY away from Subaru with NAV

Is this correct forum for such a discussion? Or go to a Subaru webpage elsewhere?

I have 2018 Legacy with onboard NAV and it is useless unless you never want to leave town or have more than 20 favorites. I've complained to them online - no response other than "Sorry you feel that way". Local dealer 'feels my pain' but there really is nothing he CAN do.

IF I TYPE I can find places... restaurants, shops,etc but the VOICE recognition part is gawd-awful. I've tried to " Find" places that have been there for 30 years and bad results.
You may have heard me SCREAMING until I realized not to even TRY. In the parking lot of restaurant and tell it to FIND ' name'. It comes up with a name that is close - but 800 miles away. Local places that have been there for 40 years. AWFUL. If I TYPE it, it is IN there but apparently NOTHING is categorized - by their categories! OR the voice interpreter is pitiful.
THEN they have SO MANY categories !
Rather than a Garmin than has BROAD top-level categories... Govt, Food, Local, Subaru has
no big folders like that.
At TOP-level - 'Embassy' is one choice. HOW MANY PEOPLE need immediate access to embassy info. SO you have to scroll through... 200 lines AND READ THEM to get to something useful. On a GARMIN, Food- Fast-Food or Seafood,etc.
Choose restaurant in a Subaru and there must be 60 sub-categories. Really: African, Afghan, and if using a VOICE command I have to KNOW them all and be able to categorize each?
I don't know exact limit to favorites, but I'd say .. maybe 30. And good luck trying to find one you want if you're on a trip. You could be 500 miles from home and RATHER than showing the ones you are NEAR, it lists them alphabetically - even if 500 miles away from some and 8 miles away from others.

Don't EVER, EVER buy built in NAV if you travel.

I told my dealer - I use the Subaru NAV screen to mount my Garmin GPS.

If there's a Subaru rep out there who wants feedback... I'm your guy.

Comments

• Boyd 1967 Points
    edited January 27
    rjschmoe said:

Is this correct forum for such a discussion? Or go to a Subaru webpage elsewhere?

You are complaining about a Subaru feature in a forum for TomTom GPS devices. Does TomTom make the Subaru GPS? I doubt it. Anyway, nobody participates the TomTom forum here anymore. So I'd say it is the wrong forum, and this is also the wrong website to complain about built-in automotive GPS units. Uers primarily come to gpsreview to discuss Garmin handheld and automotive units. We have this forum, but nobody really participates there anymore: http://forums.gpsreview.net/categories/other-gps-hardware-and-software

If you are unhappy with a Subaru product, why not contact your Subaru dealer?
  • t923347 426 Points
    Or Subaru Support if you are in US or Canada:

1 (800) 782-2783

• Tim 1479 Points
    Boyd said:

Does TomTom make the Subaru GPS? I doubt it.

No, they don't make the navigation app. It is Harman Kardon hardware. However TomTom's maps are used on the deice so you see their logo occasionally. (I have a 2018 Outback.)
  • rjschmoe 0 Points
    Ok.. Ill go away. For others...
    I have dealt with dealer. It was replaced. Same issues.

I do use Garmin , but saw TomTom section here too.
    Dealer had told me TomTom did GPS part of H-K system.
    Subaru website gives no "help" other than contact dealer . I did.

• lost-in-space 181 Points
    I use Android Auto with Waze or Garmin maps
    All the car manufactures Maps are just the basic